What to do when off leash dogs charge at a puppy? I'm wondering if I did the right thing in this situation.

I was walking in a local forest with my 20 week old Miniature Australian Shepherd. He was on leash as this is a bylaw in my area. Two middle aged ladies both with full grown Labs were walking with their dogs off leash. As we approached the two Labs ran towards us, away from their owners. Worried of what the Labs would do i picked up my puppy. Both Labradors proceeded to jump on me, barking and trying to get at my puppy. The owners did little to control their dogs. One lady yelled at me to put down my dog insisting that their dogs we friendly and would not bite. I yelled back at her to restrain their dogs. Once they did me and my pup continued our walk.
My question is I've heard it's bad to pick up your puppy when another dog runs towards it, is that true? Wouldnt it be worse to let 2 larger hyper dogs to run at and jump on a puppy? What would you have done?
Side note: My dog and I attend socialization and training classes and he is well behaved around other dogs we meet on walks.

Asked by Member 1144307 on Dec 8th 2012 in Leash Walking

Answers

Probably those dogs are not mean, but they're certainly much larger than your puppy and it can be scary when animals are barreling at you without restraint. That's pretty much why we have these ordinances. I would ask the ladies to restrain their dogs according to the ordinance. If this was not effective, I would call animal control and I would get some pepper spray to carry during my walk. I would want to be ready to defend myself and my dog if I needed to do so. Best of luck!

Ikan

I did the same thing with my dog when attacked by a dog at a dog show. I did not want my dog hurt because some jerk could not control their dog

Ikan answered on 12/10/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Boo Radley

Definitely don't pick up your dog. It's dangerous for you and it's dangerous for your dog. They perceive your lifted dog as a toy and end up being more physical in an effort to reach them than if you had just left your pup on the floor. It's safer to carry a spray bottle to discourage dogs in case they get aggressive. Those women were definitely at fault, but you never want to pick up your dog when being confronted with other strange breeds.

Boo Radley answered on 6/9/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer