what to do when my dog has heartworms

what do i do when my dog has heartworms? can i save him?

Asked by Member 867947 on Feb 10th 2010 in Heartworm Control

Answers

C.J. (C-ATCH,TDI,CGC,RE,ChSN)

My dog had heartworm when I adopted him in March '09. It is a devastating diagnosis, to be sure. But depending on his age and overall health, treatment is available and is quite successful. It's a long (3 months or more, depending on how far along he is) and expensive (in our case, the total was about $1,000) treatment. During the course of treatment, your dog will not be able to exercise or do anything that will elevate his heart rate. This is difficult on both the dog AND owner, but again - worth it in the long run. C.J. is completely free of heartworms now and is doing wonderfully. Please feel free to send me a direct message if you want to discuss what treatment is like, etc. It's a tough road, but your dog will thank you for it.

C.J. (C-ATCH,TDI,CGC,RE,ChSN) answered on 2/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hector

Too add to the above comment, as far as the expense goes, many vets will let you pay in installments. Talk to your vet about this. Most understand that we love our dogs and want to give them a chance to live, and they will work with you.

Goodluck to you and your dog

Hector answered on 2/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Let the vet help him. There is some things they can do the first thing that they may do is do some x-rays to see how bad the heart is infested. Then they will look at the dogs overall condition.
The treatment of course is expensive. But, if you have to get two opinions if the one vet is saying no there is nothing they can do. Another vet may be more experienced in the treatment field then another vet who has none. good luck.