What to do w/ my dog who bit my daughter?

Does anyone know what I can do with my good temperament dog who nipped my 2 year old daughter (not serious, she is fine)? My wife doesn't want to keep him, but on the hand I don't want to euthanize him. He is good dog who has never bitten anyone before who isn't aggressive.

I have checked with many dog rescue orgs but many don't want to take on the liability. I feel that no one really cares that he dies, but a pit bull can easily be saved! I can't understand the rationale.

Has anyone gone through this same experience. Any help would be great. I feel like I am going to loose my best friend.

--PC

Asked by Member 561234 on Jan 21st 2008 Tagged bite, rescue, euthanize, kids in Dogs & Kids

Answers

Takaya Lee Carr

well here are a few things to think about.

1. have you taken the time to teach your daughter how to treat and behave around the family pet.

2. As with any animal and very young children was there adult supervision taking place. Not adult in an other room doing somthing else, but actively over seeing the interaction between the child and pet( Like there should be and any trainer will tell you. )if this supervision was not present then the fault does not lie with the pet or the child but the adult who did not take there role as guardian of both child and pet very seriously. and that adult should be reprimanded. for lack of judgement.

3. were the dog and child properly introduced and pack hierarchy established. the dog needs to know that it is the lowest on the totem pole you and your wife are the alpha male and female then there are the children then comes the do

Takaya Lee Carr answered on 1/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Hunter

I understand both sides of the "argument". I, too, wouldn't want to take a chance of having my child injured by a dog bite..but also..what happened to make the dog nip at her? Maybe your child needs to be shown how to treat an animal (was she pulling at him, etc to make him nip?) or did he do it on his own? I don't think that you should rush out and euthanize him for this. If you and your wife decides not to keep him, maybe advertise him in your local paper and put that he shouldn't be around small children? There is many other possibilities other than just putting him to sleep. I hope that i came out "clear" and not that i condone animals biting kids:) Good luck!

Hunter answered on 1/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Pal

Do not put this dog to sleep!!! Maybe you cant keep him but I would find someone who could. Usually you can stop biting by establishing complete dominance over your dog. Let him know you are the boss. Where are you located and what kind of dog is it? I work for a rescue maybe we can help we take dogs noone else will and put them in the right homes. My email is ericsc@comcast.net. I promise to try to help. Janice

Pal answered on 1/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Our Gang

You say "He is good dog who has never bitten anyone before who isn't aggressive" Does this mean that this dog has actually bitten other people? You are right most shelters and most rescues will not take a pit bull with a bite history, there are too many great pit bulls without a bite history losing their lives.

Also just a warning: Please thoroughly check out any rescue or any person that volunteers to take your dog. There are quite a few people that pretending to be rescuers and are actually channeling dogs into dog fighting rings, other take them and sell them in order to make a quick buck.

Our Gang answered on 1/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Are you willing to work with the dog? Asher was a erious biter. He could not be adopted out and was going to be sent to the brig=dge.

We found a wonderful positive reinforcement behaviorist who has helped me give Ash a second chance. It was work, but it was work we both enjoyed.

The only caution I would give is to find a behaviorist, not a trainer, who does not use any corrections or punishment. Punshment can actually make aggression worse or cause displaced aggression. Look for someone with an educational background in behavior.

I'm with Asher.

Hire a professional behaviorist and have him come out to evaluate your dog & give you advice on how to handle & manage him, particularly around your daughter. Then you & your wife take that information & follow up on it, keeping up with basic obedience and NILIF training, supervising the dog around your daughter, and going from there.

Personally, I would like more information about what happened. How old is your dog? What breed and size? Is your 2yo the only child he is around? Were dog and child together unsupervised? What was your daughter doing before getting bitten? Was this a bite (broken skin, bleeding) or a nip (bumps but no broken skin)? Did your daughter need medical treatment? There are just a lot of variables here.

In many cases where a dog nips at a young child, it's because the child won't leave the dog alone & the adults did not pay attention to the signals the dog was giving communicating that he was bothered - flicking ears, yawning, licking lips, etc.