Lucy Ribeiro

What to do if your landlord refuses to allow your service animal entrance into Elevator?

Have a licensed service animal and my landlady refuses to allow her entrance into elevator. I am on the third floor and she wont allow dogs in elevator but I see people using it all the time. However my dog is the only licensed service animal in the building and she still refuses my dog. In fact she screams at me if she ever catches me in there. I have a extremely bad hip and have been hurting myself using the stairs all the time. What do I do? Do I report her to the ADA or Fair Housing Act? How do I do any of this.

Asked by Lucy Ribeiro on Aug 13th 2013 in Other Laws & Legislation

Answers

SNEAKERS

Call your Civil Lib and they will call the Police, and she will be sited/arrested for violating your Civil Liberties.

SNEAKERS answered on 8/13/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Contact your local city hall and make an official complaint. Whay are you letting her yell at you? Avoid this mean person!! ^_^

OK. She can NOT deny you access to the elevator. Remember, it is YOU, not the dog with access rights, so she is discriminating against YOU, not the dog. Review the ADA & the FHA. You may have to also contact the DOJ. If she is just the manager then call the owners. Document every time this happens, but keep using the elevator.
I would advise posting this in the main fora, in the Service Dog Forum. There are fabulous folk who can give you a much better answer than you'll get here. Good luck

xena CGC

contact your licensing organization and let them know about your problem . they know how to handle this you will not be first to have the problem or the last . your landlady may have had an internet service animal that caused problems and when you can show your dog is legitimate end of problem .

IT IS TO EASY TO GET PHONEY SERVICE DOG VEST ON THE INTERNET.

xena CGC answered on 8/13/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

She is not been authorize to restrict the entrance of your pet in elevator. You can complaint to licensing organization and let them know about the facts. You can also make an official complaint with the police administration.

Report this to the license office for them to call her attention. You rights are violated in this case.

Beauty and Nala

I would first tell the landlady that she is violating YOUR rights, Keep your service dogs paper work with you. Show it every time she gives you a hard time. Let her know you that you will pursue legal action if she continues to harass you, you can also sue her for personal injury as she is making you use the stairs on a bad hip. DO NOT be afraid of retaliation as you are within your rights. You may even want to contact legal aide.

Beauty and Nala answered on 11/27/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer