what to do if dog misses an annual vaccination

i missed one annual dose of vaccination for my pet dog....what is to be done?

Asked by Member 900942 on Oct 14th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

If you usually vaccinate your dog, just call and make an appointment with your vet to get them vaccinated. Depending on how long it's been, they may need bloodwork first.

As long as your dog didn't catch anything, no harm. In many cases, dogs don't need all the vaccinations they get. I hope the trend to more titers and fewer shots continues. If a titer shows a high enough level of antibodies, you can skip the shot.

I won't engage in the deceptive fear mongering some do, but there is evidence dogs would be better off with fewer shots.

K-10 Von Canein

Distemper shots normally last at least 7 years, and the 1 year and 3 year rabies shots are identical. Only give shots your dog NEEDS, and only give them when absolutely needed. Titer testing is the safest way. If your dog does not need the shot, the test will show you. If your local laws state a shot must be given every year, you must follow the law, even if the shot is going to give your dog cancer, etc.

K-10 Von Canein answered on 10/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

just call your vet and see when you can get it.
They can look up the last shot and then get you on track.
Once I was sick and missed their shot, it was a few months til I could get in. But, the vet's will understand, they know things do happen.:) :)

Seth

I agree, as long as the dog did not get sick just go and get the shot.

Seth answered on 10/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Make another appointment for it with the vet.