Fudge The Pug

What supplements do you suggest to lessend shedding and make my pug coats shinier?

My pug is 5 months old has started to shed a lot? What supplements or vitamins do you suggest that will help minimize the shedding and give him a healthy shiny coat? He eats eukanuba lamb and rice puppy and i give him 1 tsp. olive oil a day. I brush him with a rubber mit twice a day too.

Asked by Fudge The Pug on Oct 23rd 2007 Tagged shedding, pug, food in Vitamin Supplements

Answers

Rosie

Here try this website the product is FURminator it works great: www.dog.com

Rosie answered on 10/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Gio

Pugs naturally shed a lot anyways, so this could be "normal" for him.

But if you wanted to try other options to give him a healthier coat, you could start with a higher quality food. Eukanuba is VERY high in grains and low quality meat sources. Both of those wreak havoc on the quality of the coat. Try something grain free or low in grain like Canidae, Wellness, Orijen, Merrick, or Innova. Canidae is the least expensive option of the lot, but Orijen is my personal favorite and what I would feed given the choice.

As for supplements, try fish oil. Be sure to get a whole fish oil, not liver oil. You can get capsules or liquid at most drug stores or pharmacies and these can be added daily to the dog's food. Look for a supplement that includes vitamin E, as the additional omegas in the fish oil require added vitamin E for utilization.

Gio answered on 10/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Tuffy

Let him eat Tuna.

Tuffy answered on 10/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Hey there! It really sounds like you're trying to take good care of your pup. Being a Lab myself, I know all about shedding! I eat grain-free food (Timberwolf Organics "Ocean Blue"), and take essential fatty acid (fish oil) supplements, plus vitamin E and a few other things (I have skin allergies, so that's why all the fuss). But I've been shedding less since being on a higher quality, grain-free food, so it's definitely been worth the extra expense and is something you can look into. Other brands that are good are Innova's "Evo" variety, Orijen, Wellness' grain-free varieties, and Solid Gold's "Barking at the Moon."

Regular grooming is also a really good idea, so keep it up. I understand that pugs have an undercoat, which could make the Furminator (mentioned in an earlier post) a reasonable idea. We use one and like it a lot, but it's important to use it with care because it can irritate the skin if used too roughly.

Have fun with your pup!