WHAT SPICES CAN I SAFELY USE TO MAKE HOMEMADE DOG FOOD, OR SHOULD, I NOT USE ANY?

Asked by Member 643145 on Jun 13th 2008 in Homemade Food

Answers

I wouldn't think you'd need to use any spices.

Dogs have two tastes when it comes to food:

I like it.

And,

I don't like it.

Their palates are not as refined as ours, so spices really aren't something that they need.

Also, many spices which we find mouth-watering can be very bad for dogs, even toxic.

Onions and garlic, for example, can kill a dog.

I would stay away from spices unless there's a non toxic one you know for sure your dog particularly appreciates.

Also, check with your vet before putting the dog on a totally homemade diet. Dogs are super complex and often need much more than just meat and veggies in their bowl. It i very hard to make homemade food for dogs that will satisfy all their complex nutritional needs.

I wasn't sure if you were talking about treats or the actual staple diet, so I figured it was worth mentioning.

I wouldn't use spices, to be on the safe side.
Good and bad food for dogs (according to the Dog Bibble book):
-raw or cooked lean cuts of boneless poultry, beef, lamb, whitefish, and fatty fish. (BAD FOODS IN THIS CATEGORY: fatty meats, cured meat, bacon, hot dogs. Fried chicken, raw pork.)
-finely chopped or ground raw vegetables, including carrots, broccoli, florets, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, and leafy greens. (BAD FOODS IN THIS CATEGORY: french fries, onions, deep-fried vegetables.)
-cooked grains (BAD FOODS IN THIS CATEGORY: white bread, pasteries, cookies, cakes, other sugary baked goods.)
-raw, scrambled, hard-boiled, or poached eggs )BAD FOODS IN THIS CATEGORY: pancakes, waffles, processed food.)
-plain yogurtm small amount of grated hard cheese. (BAD FOODS IN THIS CATEGORY: milk, cream, ice cream.)
-bits of fruit (BAD FOODS IN THIS CATEGORY: grapes and raisins.)
-healthy people foods (BAD FOODS IN THIS CATEGORY: junk food, frozen dinners, fast food, chocolate, and sweets)

Becky

Herbs and spices are foods! - many herbs contain surprising amounts of vitamin, minerals, and micro nutrients. Herbs are a wonderful addition to home prepared diets - we have been using them for 25 years. I will give you just one example - Parsley. Parsley is a culinary multivitamin, containing high levels of beta carotene, vitamin B12, chlorophyll, calcium, more vitamin C than citrus fruits, and just about all other known nutrients. Here's more - just about this one herb: restores digestion, supports the liver, kidneys and adrenal glands, purifies blood and body fluids.
Benefits: helps dog's defensive mechanisms; chokes negative bacteria. A great immune booster.
Parsley is just like an immune-enhancing multi-vitamin and mineral complex in green plant form. It is one of the most important herbs for providing vitamins to the body. I feel here is so much benefit to using herbs in canine diets. I love using herbs rather than chemical vitamins!

Becky answered on 6/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer