What size crate should I buy for an australian shepherd?

Hopefully we are going to pick out our puppy tomorrow. We have to wait 2 weeks to pick her up. I can't seem to find exactly what size crate to purchase. If you go by weight a 36L is good but if you go by breed they say 42L. In the past we have only used a crate until it can be left in a room. Thanks for any help!

Asked by Member 847456 on Jun 19th 2009 in Crate Training

Answers

I would buy a 36'' plastic crate and let it be the dog's quarters all its life even if you eventually quit closing the door. Likely if you do buy an adult size crate, you should block off most of it at first. I never had problems with young puppies in a 36'' crate, but many say they have. It is easy enough, no sense taking chances.

I have posted what has worked for us with many puppies at www.dogster.com I explain why I thing the plastic crates are better there

The Aussies usually are smaller than the Labs, and all but the larger Labs are fine in 36'' crates. If you ever think you may be flying with the dog, be sure and get a plastic crate big enough for the dog to stand erect. The airlines require it.

it depends on how big she is going to be.
They might have a standard on the AKC site, but if she is bigger than standard, go with the bigger crate. I would think the large will be fine, she should not be bigger than standard usually.
I have a large that is big enough for a 75 dog, but for long trips I do the x-large crate.
So the pup should not be a 75 dog, nor as long as the german shepherd,hope that helped.