Bailey

What should I feed my Westie with a sensitive stomach?

This is something I have been struggling with since my Westie was a baby. Her breeder fed her Eukanuba. I had switched her to Purina Pro Plan Chicken and Rice formula. I noticed after a long time of feeding her this, her feces were never consistently solid. I cut out treats that I was feeding her and still noticed no change. I then heard that the Nutro foods were great. She was on the Lamb and Rice formula for a few months and I did notice her fecal getting more solidified. However, it was still inconsistent. Recently it got to the point where she would not eat her food at all (and she is very food driven!) After looking up reviews on the food I found a website saying that this "new and improved" brand of Nutro Lamb and Rice formula was giving people problems that didn't normally in the past (dogs having diarrhea, vomiting, etc). I got nervous with this and am still in the process of trying to switch her to Science Diet. She still acts very disinterested in the food. Her feces are even

Asked by Bailey on Dec 3rd 2012 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Have you had her to the vet for this? Have you tried other foods? Other proteins? No/less grain formulas? Kali has had issues all her life. She is allergic/intolerant to something in dog food. She used to get violently sick. It doesn't sound like your dog is as bad as that. I would try a completely different dog food. Kali did well on California Natural Herring and sweet potato. You still would need to switch her over slowly. The herring would be a completely different protein. They also have a grain free formula. If she doesn't get any better, I would post this in the nutrition forum on this site if you've already had her to the vet. Good Luck!

Petri

You might look for a sensitive food formula; I know there is some specially designed for dogs with IBS. Not that she has IBS, but it may help her eat! You could also try putting her on a raw diet. They now make raw foods for you in the fridge section of pet stores. You can freeze the food (the chunks won't stick together) and pull out daily to thaw for feeding. The one brand I can think of is Natures Instinct. Hope this helps!

Petri answered on 12/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Merrick is a great food to feed, learn more about Merrick at www.merrickpetcare.com

Merrick has grain free dog food which is a plus for any dog. Dog's don't need grains in their diets.

Merrick is one of the best dog foods that you can feed to your dog. There's many different formulas to choose from which makes it easy to choose the perfect one to feed to your dog.

Seth

I use the Nutro products for my show kennel , and it works great. The one that had allergy problems, it helped him a lot. It also made their coats look great and they have tons of energy. And I like the fact that Nutro also makes their own food, unlike many others that contract out other companies to make it for them.

Seth answered on 12/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer