What should I do for my poodles rotten teeth?

is she in pain? is there anything i can do? pull them? put anbosol on them?

Asked by Member 937221 on Jan 10th 2010 in Dental Care

Answers

No, don't use Anbesol
Do not use this product on your dog as Anbesol contains benzocaine which can be toxic to dogs.
Yes, she is probably in pain, just like when you have a toothache. Do Not pull them out yourself! That would really hurt!
You need to take your poodle to the vet and have them examine her and let you know the options.

I agree completely with Cindy, she gave an excellent answer.

I would stress that dogs' tooth health is just as important for them as it is for us. Things like heart disease (from swallowing plaque and bacteria that goes into the bloodstream) diabetes and even pancreatitis have been linked in humans as well as dogs to tooth care neglect.

As if chronic disease risk wasn't bad enough, acute risks include everything from serious infection from abscessed teeth to blood poisoning. Some dogs can actually die from infected teeth.

Please take her to the vet and have her tooth issues treated and make sure you brush her teeth daily with a special doggie brush and (NO HUMAN TOOTHPASTE!) doggie toothpaste.

I have to agree, vet time for your little one. She will probably need her teeth pulled and dogs can manage just fine without them. Yes, this will cost you, but her being pain free and happy is what's important.
Deogie will be three in July (WOW, tiime goes by too quickly) and his vet will start doing annual complete dental checks.
Mouth health is important to your overall health. Best to get this done ASAP.
Have a good one.

Boston

I agree with everyone else to. When they get to the point where they stink and are rotten no amount of brushing will help. I am sure they hurt to and might even be painful to eat. At this point the only thing that can be done is to go to the vet. A dental and possibly some extractions will need to be done I am sure. But your dog will feel much better.

Boston answered on 1/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maverick

I would take your dog to your vet first so that they can give a good dental cleaning. I would also start giving Greenies to your dog once a day. They are proven to be help reduce tarter and plaque build up. They completely dissolve in water so that you don't have to worry about choking but, its still advised that you supervise you dog, just as with any other treat. They take the place of you brushing your dogs teeth every day and they think they are getting a yummy treat! Both my dogs love them!

Check out the website:
www.greenies.com
You can find greenies at almost every petstore.

Maverick answered on 1/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Petri

After you have been to the vet and had her teeth cleaned and/or pulled, you can use this non-toxic, 100% organic Breath Freshener Spray from PETfection. Check it out at www.myPETfection.com. It will really help combat smelly breath and help reduce the bacteria and plaque build up in her mouth.

Petri answered on 1/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Otis

if your dog is having any tooth pain you can use clove oil as a topical analgesic.... there is also a breath spray with clove oil added to it, www.smoochable-rupert.com

Otis answered on 3/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer