Bentley

What should I be feeding my yorkie?

I am feeding him boiled chicken and rice but he has since become picky again and isn't eating it. BUT it could be he's not eating because mom just left yesterday morning on a long road trip and he may be missing her..?

I'm going to try chicken and peas. My dog is 3 years old. He doesn't seem to eat much of the rice even when I mix it in well with the chicken, he picks out the chicken. We are going to make fish and peas for us so I could make more peas just for Bentley (our yorkie).

Are the following meals okay?:
boiled chicken and white rice
boiled chicken and peas
boiled hamburger and green beans
fish sticks and peas (not so sure about this one)

Should I be adding any kind of oil in his diet since he has dry skin and itches a lot?

He refuses to eat dry or canned dog food of any kind so that's why I'm home cooking for him.

Asked by Bentley on Apr 3rd 2011 Tagged food, nutrition in Homemade Food

Answers

I would ask this question in the Home Prepared Recipes forum...click on the orange "Community" button then click on "Forums", then scroll down to the Home Prepared section. I think long term you are going to need a little bit more nutritional balance than what you currently have, but like I said you will surely get a lot of great ideas in that forum.

Halo

Too much white meat and filler. You want 75% red meat and just 10% filler (grain or vegetable) the other 15% percent can be white meat (chicken, turkey, fish, etc..) and fruits/treats.

Halo answered on 4/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

J. J.

Since your dog is extremely picky, you should consider finding a dry dog food that is very tasty, like Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Adult. It is nutritionally balanced for small dogs, unlike the unsupplemented meals you listed above. It also contains the Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids that are so good for the skin and coat.

J. J. answered on 4/5/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Starbuck

If you want to give him a homemade diet, you should be adding more meat with supplements if you insist on cooking it. Cooking meat takes out the majority of the nutritional value for carnivores and adding grains and veggies as fillers just isn't species appropriate.

You would be better off feeding a raw diet to be perfectly honest. Dogs are meat eaters and their entire physiology shows that.

Starbuck answered on 4/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hi there,
My puppy is doing the exact same thing. Bought every single type of high grade expensive dry dog food and he wont touch it, not with warm water, or even broth mixed in it. Got every single type of canned food, hated that too even left the room when it was presented to him. As a growing puppy It is very stressful to know they are not eating their dog food and getting enough food. So the vet and everyone else said "a puppy will never starve itself" and told me to put the plate down, if he refuses, take it away, try again. Well 2 days went by and still nothing. before that he was eating maybe 5-10 tiny peices of kibble a day when the vet said he needed minimum 1/2 cup per day. So i started cooking for my puppy and he is eating that like nobodys business. He eats cooked chicken, liver, beef, salom, eggs, carrots, peas, apples and bannanas witha multi vitamin and mineral supplement with omega 3-6-9. I mix it up everyday, and dont overdo any of it. He is healthy, happy and eating