What seasonings can I use that have no salt for a pomeranian that had heart failure? He is a very picky eater

My little pomeranian suffered heart failure 2 days ago. He pulled thru thankfully. The vet said that he needs to be put on a strict no salt diet and that I should prepare his food at home. He is a very picky eater and has turned down all the foods that I have prepared so far. I need to get him to eat but i do not know what spices and seasonings to use that have no salt. He is also not allowed to have any garlic.

Asked by Member 995343 on Jul 2nd 2010 in Homemade Food

Answers

I think we add seasonings to dog food to make US feel better, I don't think dogs really care. The vet has said a strict diet. Did he give you suggestions, other than no salt or garlic? Try poached chicken breast & mushy rice, or browned lean beef with rice. Most dogs become picky after being spoiled. Offer the food & if he doesn't eat it, pick up the bowl, refrigerate, & try again later. No treats or extras in between. It sounds mean, but your dog just had a major health scare & this is for his own good. MOST dogs will not starve themselves & will eat when they realize what is in the bowl is all there is. Good luck & hugs & prayers for a full recovery for your pom.

He really needs the balanced diet commercial dog food provide. Feeding him less may be the key. If the dog never did eat very well, and has seen the vet since the problem existed, you may be over feeding it. A vet check still won't hurt. Many dogs will wolf down more than is good for them and look for more. Others refuse to eat more than than they need. Evaluate the dog as illustrated in this link, www.longliveyourdog.com You may want the vet to confirm your judgment. Adjust the dogs food and exercise as needed to reach its ideal body condition. Some German Shepherds and other breeds may refuse to eat enough to completely hid their ribs. As long as you are feeding a concentrated, meat based chow, the best thing is to accept it.

The worst thing you can do is to bribe a dog with rich foods into eating more than it needs. Instead, Put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal. In a few days, it should be eating what it needs. Continue to check its ribs and adjust the food as needed. This is not easy. I had a Shepherd go 3 days on a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog not to eat what it needs. Unfortunately, in too many cases, it is less than the package says, and less than the owner thinks the dog should have. Many dogs are quite good at holding out for tastier chow. Like kids, sometimes it calls for tough love.

Twizzler

I agree with Wiley. He is probably trying to hold out for something better. I have a lil' pomeranian too. He can be the pickiest guy sometimes. He eats Nutro's Ultra Small Breed Adult formula and does really well on it.
I'm sure he is still not feeling very well and probably has lost his appetite as well. We will keep your lil' pomeranian in our thoughts and prayers. I would call your vet and see what exactly he can and cannot have as well as a list and recipes for his food since he has instructed you to feed at home. Did he give you a detailed weekly guide? You may need to supplement with a vitamin and mineral supplement if you are home preparing. Its very tricky to get things just right so that they get all of the correct nutrients at the perfect level.

Twizzler answered on 7/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I cut up fresh parsley, which gives them nice breath. You can stir in a spoonful of plain(not sweetenened), non-fat yogurt, which tastes just like sour cream.
You can chop and stir in any un seasoned meats, like chicken or beef.

If he's weak try a bland diet of soft foods, sometimes the anaesthesia upsets the tummy for a few days, it will pass.

The last thing I would do is listen to someone on dogster who tells you to put your dog on a commercial kibble, especially if your VET said to homecook for him (and especially since a lot of commercial kibbles that are grocery store brands have a TON of salt)
Check out the dogster homecooked forums. Lots of yummy recipes on there. I'm sure you'll find something that your dog will accept.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 7/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer