Cloey Santino

what month can a chihuahua get pregnant and is it hard to take care of a chihuahua family and how many babies can a chi

hi there dogsterians i am planning to get another chi dog and have them mate but my dog is 11 months old is already ok to have them mate. is it really hard to take care of a chihuahua family because i heard it's very stressing and expensive. how would you react tho this statement? I saw a website that consists of info about chihuahuas and i saw that normal chihuahuas can conceive
1-4 pups and abnormal is 8-10 pups how can i avoid the abnormal pls answer every word is helpful

Asked by Cloey Santino on Dec 31st 2011 Tagged chihuahua, pregnant, pups in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

11 months old is far too young..she is still a baby. Wait until she is at least 2 & then test for health issues.
Why are you planning to breed? The first step is to get a mentor & learn all you can about the breed. NOT the internet!!
It is very expensive..& your bitch may die..in either the breeding process or whelping. Caesarians are common in small breeds..very costly. Yes caring for up to 8 puppies plus mom, plus dad is stressful. Vet bills for the pups will also be costly. If a puppy gets sick..ca-ching! Mom has retained placenta...ca-ching! Shots..ca-ching! Mom rejects pups & you must hand rear..time, stress, & yes, ca-ching!!
Please leave breeding to responsible professionals. Enjoy your dog for who she is. Get her spayed to prevent any oops litters.

answered on Dec 31st.

Answers

Yikes...

There is NO way to predict how many pups a female will conceive, short of doing an x-ray and aborting the "surplus" fetuses which would be expensive and dangerous. Thinking of expensive and dangerous... do you know how much a C-section costs? Very common in the toy breeds, and not getting one fast enough can mean the death of the pups and the mom too, if a pup is stuck.

If you love Chihuahuas, adopt or buy them from someone else. Breeding is expensive and dangerous, better to leave to the people who have the experience and the money to deal with all the things that can go wrong.

First of all, thank you very much for trying to inform yourself.
I'm interested in raising Collies one day. I'm no expert, but I researched this subject for a few years. (I haven't done much reading on it recently due to increased responsibilities elsewhere.)

Consider this decision very carefully. There are plenty of risks and expenses involved. Even experienced breeders run into problems. For one, Chihuahuas often need C-sections. There is even some risk to your dog's life involved. Raising puppies can be stressful, and it is most definitely expensive. Especially if you do it right.
A dog should not be bred before the age of two years. There are two reasons for this: because that is when they are completely physically mature and because this is the age at which certain health tests, OFA (for hip dysplacia) and CERF (genetic eye disorders such as PRA), can be certified.

And then there are questions about your dogs. How physically sound are they and how well do they fit the breed standard? What of temperament? Is their temperament correct for their breed? How healthy are they? How likely is it that they will pass down potential health problems to their offspring? (You need more than a clean bill of health from the vet to answer this. There are several health tests you'll need to have done.)
As for number of puppies, there is no way to dictate how many you get.

I'd say that breeding is something that should be done with the goal of bettering the breed in mind, health and otherwise. I think that people breeding their dogs without knowing what they are doing are doing more harm than good in the long run. Not on purpose, obviously, but they do need to be taught better.

Please take a look at my website, I made it for the purpose of educating both those who wish to breed: cookiemiller.tripod.com
There are a couple of links that will hopefully prove helpful to you on the links page.
Just keep in mind that my site is NOT a step-by-step instruction manual, nor is it intended to be. As if all one would need to know could be condensed into one little webpage.

The previous answers are very good, however, I cannot stress enough how expensive it is to breed dogs!!!
Chihuahuas are one of the breeds most likely to require a cesaerian section as they seldom can whelp the pups normally due to their size. The average price for this is $1500, more can be expected if it is the middle of the night and you have to end up with an emergency clinic.
IF your female is in trouble and you do not get this c-section immediately most likely she and ALL the pups will die.
The likelihood of ending up with a c-section is also MUCH higher when the mother is still a puppy herself.
As she cannot be bred on every heat you will likely end up with a male who goes crazy and ends up lifting his leg all over your house as well as a female who is barking and whining all day to get to him. Not much fun!
Then, after you get all the pups their shots and health checks you will be lucky to sell them for enough to even pay for those costs, much less cover the c-section!

Archie

Wiley is absolutely right. She is too young. It can be very costly, dangerous, and just not necessary.
Chihuahuas are one of the most over bed dogs around. So many in shelters already, no need to add more.
Plus I was looking at your dogs profile and noticed you put her weight at 11-25. Real purebred chihuahuas are not to exceed 6 pounds.

Archie answered on 1/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer