What low-calorie food can I make at home for my dog?

My 8-year-old Chihuahua is a little overweight and has allergies. I stopped giving her dog food and started to cook for her to avoid fillings, sugar, salt, and preservatives, but now I'm running out of ideas.

Besides green beans and carrots, what other veggies can small dogs eat? I feed her brown rice and meats: chicken (her favorite) veal, pork, red meat, and chicken gizzards, all made for her -- no table scraps! Any ideas what other food I can make that is low-calorie and nutritious?

Asked by Member 871456 on Sep 13th 2011 Tagged homemadefood, dietsrecipe in Homemade Food

Answers

I would check out the Home Prepared Food and Recipes forum, you can find that here: www.dogster.com

fillings can be fattening.
but you can actually feed a high calorie food that has no fillers. you just need to feed the dog the proper amount. and it will be a more healthy food to begin with. and with foods that have no fillers you actually do feed them less. hope that makes sense.
I have been having great luck with Evo red meat, and it comes in little bites for tiny dogs.
you should do no free feeding or feed any type of bisquits to the dog.
even a raw diet offers lower fat content then bagged dogfood.
bagged dogfoods have high contents of fat.
Brown Rice is a filler and I suggest that you do not add brown rice to her diet.
if you feed all meat she will perhaps get dirrehea so I hope you can check out dogster's raw forum for tips on that.
I think if you feed smaller portions of no grain foods and exercise your dog on a daily basis you have it beat :)

Um, where's the calcium?! I hope you give a supplement that contains calcium and other minerals/vitamins she needs!

Dogs can eat pretty much any veggie except onions, BUT I think the best homemade diet for dogs (especially for weight loss) is the BARF diet (Biologically Appropriate Raw Foods) or prey-model raw (PMR)- it should contain almost NO carbohydrates, just meat, organs, bones, and some greens. It's CARBS that cause weight gain, for the most part. Ditch the rice in her diet, and I'm sure you'll see improvement.

This is my favorite website regarding homemade dog food and raw diets for dogs:
dogaware.com

Thank all for your response. Just to add a little more detail, since I am feeding homemade dog food I give her a Pet's vitament and supplement pill everyday. I will also get the calcium carbonate powder to add to all her meals. Do you think this is enough?

King Jackal Jackson

I've been making homemade food for (some of) my pups for over a decade.

Veggies my pups love ... peas, asparagus, potatoes (especially sweet potatoes), broccoli (careful, too much might upset their tummies), celery, spinach, squash, zucchini ... sure I am failing to think of others.

Also, they like some fruits in their meals ... apples, blueberries, coconut, mangoes, peaches, pears, pineapple, strawberries ... again, sure I am failing to think of some.

Also rotate meats ... chicken, turkey, beef, bison, venison, lamb, shrimp, pork, rabbit, elk ... etc.

King Jackal Jackson answered on 9/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer