Faith (CGC)

What kind of worms does my puppy have?

The worms looked like large pieces of rice. Her poop was kind of runny today, and it had these worms and some blood in it. She is going to the vet this Wednesday for her shots but I would like to be able to tell the vet what kind of worms I think she has. Can you help?

Asked by Faith (CGC) on Sep 13th 2010 in Worms & Parasites

Answers

Collect a stool sample and take it to the vet. Why tell the vet what you think when he/she can tell you for fact what she has. Maybe you could take the sample in before her appointment so you will have results by Weds? Anything we tell you here would be just an educated guess. Faith is so cute! Worms can happen to any dog & are usually easy to treat. Good luck.

Buckeye

Of course you won't have to tell the vet what kind of worms she has, because you cannot know for sure. I wouldn't be able to :) The best thing to do is to bring a stool sample to the vet with you, preferably fresh or close to fresh.

The vet will be able to determine what kind of worms she has then. She'll be better soon!

Buckeye answered on 9/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Odie-Wan-Kenobi  CGC

If the worms look like rice it's most likely a tapeworm but your vet will need to do tests just to make sure. Take a stool sample in with you to the vet and that'll help him identify the parasite, I usually use a zip block baggy to get the sample, it's not as messy and doesn't smell as bad.

Odie-Wan-Kenobi CGC answered on 9/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer