What kind of temperatures can a red heeler tolerate?

My 27 year old step-son has an eight week old red heeler (BOO) that he keeps outside in 20-30 degree temperatures and my wife is worried to death about it. She says it is shaking whenever she goes to check on it or give it water. I taped a furniture box together for the dog for a wind break and put an old rug in there, but it still seems pretty cold to me.

I didn't raise this kid and he doesn't listen to me at all but I am ready to divorce my wife over always being in the middle. They fight constantly.

He makes the dog stay outside because it soils the floor of his apartment. He has had it two weeks. I need some advice.

Asked by Member 539999 on Dec 3rd 2007 in House Soiling

Best Answer

I don't mean to be blunt or disrespectful but I think your step-son really doesn't need to have a dog. If he really thinks that's acceptable, and that it was going to take a tiny little puppy less than 2 weeks to somehow magically be fully house-trained, he should either get a cat or a stuffed animal. This dog will suffer both physically from the bitter cold, as well as mentally from lack of human contact and appropriate socialization. Convincing him to re-home would be your best option for the puppy! Good luck. :(

Kolbe answered on Dec 3rd.

Answers

First of all these types of dogs have double coats and can with stand cold and hot temperatures to a DEGREE! AS AN ADULT!!!!

No mater what an 8 week puppy CAN NOT handle this type of temperature this is consider cruelty. A puppy that young will die from severe cold and those temperatures are to cold. That is definitely mistreatment and your wife and you should go get it or call animal control. A shivering dog is a cold dog. They don't shiver for no reason. I can't believe you have to ask this question, it is obvious, specially for the age.

When the dog is an adult it has 3 out 5 temperature tolerance, 5 being the hottest or coldest.

Second, this breed does not do well in city life or living in an apartment. I think your step-son did not think this through.

A puppy will never learn how to be potty trained while living outside.

This is a situation you hear all the time as the dog is moving from home to home. Best bet, find the dog a proper new home now!

It is my honest opinion that your stepson is a complete moron and that what he is doing to this young puppy is serious abuse and can (and probably will) kill the dog.

In my opinion, the only sensible thing you can do in this situation, since talking to him does not work and talking to your wife does not work, is to phone your town's animal control department, sheriff, SPCA, his landlord, or whoever the heck else will do something to remove this dog from his home.

This is an 8 week old puppy. That's the equivalent of an infant child. The puppy is barely old enough to be away from his mother and litter, let alone old enough to stay outside in the cold. A furniture box and an old rug won't protect him, either.

Next time you go over there, pick the puppy up, tuck him inside your jacket to keep him warm with your body heat, and take him to an animal shelter. Then please tell the idiot who owns him that you will do the same to any other dogs he gets because he obviously can't care for one

Here is the only advice you need FING THAT DOG A HOME!! It is to cold for most adult dogs to be outside in that weather. Obviously your son did not think over the commitment. He has no concern for the puppy and do not be suprised if it ends up dead from a severe cold, or the severe temperatures. he doesn't have anyway to keep his body temperature where it needs to survive. What your step son is doing is animal cruelty and if found out could face charges. Do the right thing and take that poor animal to the nearest shelter or rescue group. Where a loving familycan adopt this bundle of joy....it deserves that much. It's the right thing to do. I would bring it in for the night to your home.

Aimee

My name is Aimee, I am a Blue Healer or Australian Cattle dog/one in the same. I am 3 years old and I tried city life, didn't work I was bounced from home to home. People said I was mischievous. All I was doing was trying to keep my energetic body and mind satisified. I have a job now working livestock and chasing birds on thousands of acres. I am lucky and I get to come in the house when I want! Healers do need a job usually on a farm and most of us don't do well in city life. THIS PUP CAN NOT WITHSTAND THESE TEMPS IT WILL DIE. Good job with your wife, don't divorce her join her, you will be saving a life. Why does you wife have to give the pup water? Sounds like your son in law is an uncaring individual and should not have a pet. Please get the pup placed with a rescue agency if you are near Illinois or Indiana email me and I will have my Mom take the pup and find it a suitable home. We will keep the pup indoors where it belongs. Do it soon or it will die! Good luck!

Aimee answered on 12/4/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer