♥Candy♥

What kind of personality, traits, energy does a dog need to succeed in Agility or other sports?

Candy is my goldendoodle. I want to start her in agility because she has energy and I like she'd be really good at it. Are there any signs that a dog could be successful in agility? Any answer is appreciated!!

Asked by ♥Candy♥ on Sep 19th 2010 in Agility & Sports

Answers

Faith (CGC)

Poodles and Goldens are both very intellingent, athletic dogs, most well suited to the sport of agility.
You need to make sure your dog it at LEAST one year old before you start agility and responds well to basic commands like sit, down, stay, and come. Knowing hand signals as well as verbal commands would be helpful.
Also it would be helpful to teach her to focus.
Due to the limited writing space I am afraid I will run out of room before I get to say everything I would like to so PLEASE pmail me with any questions or comments.
I did agility with my BC/GSD and plan on training my BC for it.
:) Best wishes.

Faith (CGC) answered on 9/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think my dog would be an excellent candidate too. The energy level is out in space that's a good reason. But, mommy wants to tell you that before you do any sports to make sure you get an xray of the hips to make sure you are ok orthopedically first. It would be sad to be hurting if you are jumping. She also wants you to know to start off slow in jumping, do baby steps. Contact your a.k.c and local clubs for a list of clubs that do agility in your area. We have a sport family too and we love to jump ! :)