what kind of personality do chow-chows have

what kind of personality do chow-chows have. is it true that they tend to be vicious? my dog is a chow mix very swet. but the insurence company i called to insure my house said they can't do it because i have a chow mix

Asked by Member 327809 on Dec 28th 2007 in Chow Chow

Best Answer

Unfortunately, there are so crazy ideas out there about certain breeds. Truth is, NO breed is vicious.

While it is true that some dogs share some common characteristics. For example, terriers can have a strong prey drive. Does that mean that all terriers have a strong prey drive? Nope.

Now, when you're talking about traits like prey drive or, say, herding instinct, you're talking about something that is more or less ingrained in the dog's bloodline. Again, it isn't 100%, but a trait like aggression is NOT something that a dog's genetic makeup really pre-disposes him to.

A pit or chow or bully breed dog can be incredibly aggressive or dangerous. So can a small terrier mix. Both have the ability to maim or kill, but if it ever happens, I guarantee you the one on the nightly news WON'T be the tiny terrier mix.

Dogs become aggressive from bad handling and rearing and sadly insurance companies and the media don't understand that.

Jack answered on Dec 28th.

Answers

Roscoe the Racehound™

Jack's answer was peferct, I have nothing to add to it :]

Roscoe the Racehound™ answered on 12/28/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Tara -Forever loved

Chows can be aloof and weary of strangers but they are not aggressive by nature. Training and socialization is the key with any breed of dog! We recently moved and there are lots of kids in our new neighborhood. I was one of their favorites because they loved to pet my soft pretty fur. Insurance companies, like legislation, need to stop basing their opinions on the breed and look instead to the owners. Fortunately, our insurance company never gave us a hard time. Try State Farm as they have been better about evaluating the dog in question and not the breed.

Tara -Forever loved answered on 12/29/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

There a NO "dangerous" breeds. There are agressive dogs in every breed (even Collies), but as a whole there are no agressive breeds.