Lucky

What kind of chew is good for a German Shepherd puppy?

I just want a better chewing bone or treat for Lucky to chew besides rawhide and I want a chew that is completely digestible and a kind that I can buy at pet stores. Thank you so much!(:

Asked by Lucky on Dec 18th 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I give my dog cow tendons. Most pet stores have them.

The pet stores are full of toys that many dogs will quickly chew up into pieces they could choke on or cause intestinal blockages. If you are not there to watch, stick to sturdy stuff such as Nylabones and Kongs. Keep a close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in pieces. Rawhide is especially bad because it swells after being swallowed. I don't trust any of the consumable chews. The dogs just gnaw them down to a dangerous size too quickly. These problems are the worst with, but not limited to, large, aggressive chewers such as Labs.

Ropes from the pets' store quickly turn to hazardous shreds. Ones I made lasted much better. Go to a hardware or home center that sells rope by the foot. Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart.

Many dogs aren't interested in a slick, new Nylabone. I think they are putting the nubby texture on more of them now. I think it is part of the reason so many dogs like the hard to find dinosaur ones. The ultimate is the Souper Size Galileo Nylabone. It is about 7 inches long and 3 inches around. It has the slick surface. They are more attractive if you rough up the surface with sand paper or by rubbing it on a concrete floor. Another technique is to jam a Nylabone into a Kong creating what I call a twofer. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Bully sticks!! They come in a variety of lengths. My guys just polished off a couple of foot longs & they know there are 2 footers sticking out of their stockings!

If your dog likes Greenies, i got a coupon from them that if you buy one box you can get the second one for free. Just have to go to greenies . com to get a coupon. Saved me like $32 for mine.

Antlers! We love them at our house. They last a Long time. You can buy different sizes. Lucky would need a bigger size. Mom takes them away from us when they get too small and might become wedged in our mouths.
If you can't find them locally, you can search online. Mom recently got some from Amazon.

Farley

Bully sticks, antlers, and raw meaty bones are best. They're natural products.

Farley answered on 12/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I only use the kong for all my shepherds.
Once they get too damaged at the top I replace them and throw the ol one out.
I have been through all the chews, pighides, and bully sticks I find the kong is well loved and I don't have to go broke buying the stuff that is unhealthy , chemicals and or bad for their system.

Anything Merrick, Solid Gold or Primal Pet.