What is wrong with my litter of puppies?

Puppies are snot nosed, and coughing. The cough is more like a hacking gag. There is nothing in the lungs, just up top.

Here is the story...
At 9 Days old 1 of the puppies started having a congested breathing sound, by 10 days old several of them were breathing like that. At 11 Days old, 2 of the puppies started the cough, (Hacking gagging sound). I called the vet and we put them on Clavamox. By 15 days, their cough would not stop! They would wake up coughing. Their cough was very consistant. At 17 Days, I took them to the vet. She said it sounded like Aspiration Pneumonia and gave them a shot of penicillin. She said they are happy healthy fat puppies. The cough slowed down in some and completely stopped in others. By 19 Days, the cough came back in all of them. Today is the 20th day, I've gotten another round of penicillin shots to give them tonight. They have been on Clavamox since the 23rd. They take it morning and night.
I don't know what else to do. Nothing makes it better.HELP

Asked by Member 1152933 on Jan 31st 2013 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Sounds like it may be a form of kennel cough.

No matter the diagnosis. We can determine how and why it happened and treat it. Your main problem is the area u have the pups is contaminated and even though u treat one the germs will lay in the water bowl,food bowl, bedding anywhere they come to contact with for weeks after leaving the infected or a pup could be infected and have no systems for weeks then suddenly become ill.

You need to separate all the pups and assign them a place until its completely gone, do not allow them to share anything. Buy foam cups for water and constantly replace with a fresh one at least every other day. And keep there areas cleaned with a disinfectant constantly. After u handle them clean your hands immediately and before u handle another pup.
Treat the sick pups with antibiotics as directed.

Do all listed until they all are cured 100 percent then wait a couple weeks after that then you can place them back together.
Hope I'm help. Keep us posted

answered on Feb 1st.

Answers

I would take them to a different vet, first thing in the morning. Maybe the antibiotic is not the right one for what they have. Good Luck!

What kind of bedding are they on??? It is possible they are inhaling particles from that, depending on what it is... shavings, sawdust, shredded paper????
And, I hope this isn't a problem, but I have heard of puppies getting upper respiratory problems from exposure to too much ammonia gas from urine buildup.
I would be searching for some environmental issue at this point.