Cotton

What is the proper supplement for a puppy?

As a I kept searching the net, I got more and more confused with what exactly should we supplement our little pom. My pom is turning 4 months old and currently on Orijen for small breed pup diet plus a few drops of Spectrum flaxseed oil added. There are suggestion of adding brewer's yeast, garlic powder, acidophilus, MSM powder, ascorbic acid, virgin oil, safflower oil and so on. I know not all the above mentioned supplement is necessary but I would love to hear our fellow dogster the kind of supplement you give to your pom. Thank you!

Asked by Cotton on Oct 9th 2012 Tagged supplement, nutrition, puppy, oil in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Orijen is top of the heap for kibble, and is completely balanced. There is no need to be adding anything to it.. Breed has nothing to do with supplements. If your dog is in good health & is pooping well on it..no need for anything else.

Wiley is right. Furthermore by adding supplements willy nilly you run the risk of upsetting the correct balances in an already balanced dog food, leading to serious potential results, especially in a growing puppy.
This is truly a case of more not being better but being much worse.
Unless your puppy is diagnosed with a lack of some mineral or vitamin by your veterinarian your best and safest bet is to add nothing except maybe some warm water to his kibble.
If by chance he is diagnosed with something missing from his diet, then go with your veterinarians prescribed supplement only.