Close X

What is the lowest temperature to take out a Chihuahua for a long walk? Thank You.....

Asked by Member 1186725 on Oct 10th 2013 in Travel & Recreation

Every dog is different, but this breed is tiny and from warm climes. If you get him/her a winter coat and booties, that will help. You can also carry the dog for the rest of the way in a warm dog sling (also used for human babies) if s/he becomes winded or unable to continue. ^_^

My Chi gets a Sweater if it's below 60°, and a Jacket if it's below 50°. I don't take her out if it's below 40°, or there's residual Ice on the sidewalks/grass.
Booties are just too much trouble, and all my guys don't like them anyway. However, if we had extended periods of freezing weather (which we don't) I might reconsider their use.

NA'vi answered on 10/12/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This question should be answered by you and your Chi. Observe her, imagine "would this ground be cold on my bare feet?".

I've never owned a Chi (or any temperature-sensitive dog, for that matter), so I don't know -exact- temps for them. If she can tolerate being bundled up in a warm jacket/waterproof booties, then she can probably handle some pretty low temps.

At the same time, remember to not baby her...she's a dog, not a baby doll ;) if its cold outside, take her out for the bare minimum and then bring her back in.

Best wishes!

Shasta answered on 10/12/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer