what is the correct dosage of omega 3 for dogs

Asked by Member 931318 on Dec 18th 2009 in Skin Problems

Answers

Patrick

I really don't know for sure, but I find that if my mom gives me 5 drops per day in my food that it works very well in keeping the itching to a minimum and does'nt give me the diarhea.
I guess it depends on the size of the dog,
I weigh about 26 lbs. Hope this helps.

Patrick answered on 12/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Consult your vet for advice about this. Nobody here is qualified to give you an exact dosage and your vet will have your dog's medical history to consider, as well.

If you are feeding a premium food, you may not need this supplement for a dog. In fact, if you do give this to a dog who doesn't need it, it can be dangerous as the body cannot get rid of high levels quickly enough. It can cause diarrhea or pancreatitis, a potentially lethal inflammation of the pancreas.

So, unless there is a specific reason your dog needs this, consult the vet to make sure he's deficient. Otherwise, your good intentions might end up endangering his health.