what is the coldest I can leave my corgi-mix outside for 6 to 8 hours during daylight

Asked by Member 928570 on Dec 8th 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

you didn't give enough details, how old is he? Mixed with what, what kind of coat? How big is he? Does he have an insulated dog house with warm bedding? Can you be sure he WILL take shelter if it rains? What contingencies are ther if you say get stuck in a snowstorm, is there anyone nearby to care for him? Why not just put in a doggie door to the basement or heated garage?

Lily

At the same temperature you'd leave any family member out - whether two or four legged. Unless she is working on a farm with a straw filled barn heated by the cattle she herded, she belongs inside with her family.

Lily answered on 12/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Shiver Me Timbers

I have to agree, unless there's some warm, insulated, possibly even heated shelter for the dog, then leave her inside where it's warm. Snowstorms, rain, storms in general, any form of cold can get your dog very sick if she's left in it for six-eight hours at a time, in daylight or not. The safest bet is to keep her inside of simply have a dog walker or family member come over to let her out at about four hour marker.

Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie" answered on 12/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

B.J., CGC

While working as a cruelty investigator years ago, I was taught that it's all or none. In other words, unless your dog is staying outside day AND night it is far worse for it health wise to be out all day and in at night. The assumption is that the dog needs to acclimitize for cold... if it is brought in all night its body will be unable to do that correctly. AND... staying out is totally dependent on proper housing. The dog will need an insulated, waterproof dog house with a flap over the door. It needs to have warm, DRY bedding, and your dog must have access to drinking water at all times, and ample good quality food.

B.J., CGC answered on 12/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you have a dog that is not able to maintain body temperature is weather below freezing and do not have a house raised off the ground, stuffed with straw then I would advise againist leaving them out side. They also must have water that is not frozen and food. Dogs eat more and drink more when they are in cold temperatures to survive and produce body heat.
They eat and drink more for many reasons.
You can also build a small shed and cut a hole in the side and place heat lamps inside to keep them warm don't forget your straw as well.
The dog must have shelter and proper shelter to stay warm and keep their feet off the cold wet ground.
I leave my boston outside for very short periods in the winter, he can easily freeze to death. He has no coat and is small. Once someone didn't let him in and it was like 42 that night, he got sick. I felt so bad.