What is the best way to take tic of your Dog

Asked by Member 752931 on May 6th 2009 in Grooming

Answers

Bandit

I get a little cup (like a baby food jar) of alcohol and some q-tips. I dip the q-tip in the alcohol and drip it all over the tick. The alcohol makes the tick pull its head out then you can remove the tick. Make sure you grab it as far down as you can by the head and pull it off once it lets go. Then put the tick in the alcohol to make sure it dies all the way.

Bandit answered on 5/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

use tweezers down by the head pull back not up so you don't break the head off.
Rub some rubbing achol on the area.
Use Frontline to prevent ticks afterwards.

Sunny

Hi everyone,
I would use this site:
www.peteducation.com

Sunny answered on 5/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Nothing has ever worked for me but pulling them off as described in the above link.

I find a shot of insect repellent will make a freshly attached tick drop off a person. It has never worked for me on a dog.

They make special "tick tweezers" that help you get close to the skin and grasp the tick firmly, which are a good investment (they're less than $5) if you have little experience pulling off ticks, as they make the process easier.

Any kind of tweezers will work, though. You want to grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible, and then pull straight out. You should clean the site where the tick was attached and you can (but don't have to) put some antibacterial ointment on it.

Most methods, such as "burning" a tick, covering it in nail polish, twisting it while pulling it out, etc. are old wives tales and don't really work.

Sheba

take a pair of tweezers and pull it near the skin thin burn the tick

Sheba answered on 5/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer