Lady

What is the best way to get a dog to stop barking? Is it okay to shake a can with pennies in it?

Lady has been barking at our new neighbors a lot lately. I don't want to reward her barking by giving her any kind of attention, even saying "no". Is is okay to use a can of pennies and shake it to get her to stop barking? I've tried it a few times, and now sometimes even if she sees the can she'll just go around to the back yard (kind of to avoid it). It seems to work because it gets her attention and startles her a little bit. I don't want to teach her to be afraid of me when I have the can, or produce any other negative behaviour or fear by doing this. What does everyone think?

Asked by Lady on Oct 18th 2007 Tagged barking, shaking, can, pennies, rattle in Barking

Best Answer

MacGregor(Mac)

Hello, I have the same problem...I like your idea about shaking the can.
I let Mac in the backyard which is fenced in & he barks at all sounds, the neighbors, my cats, on & on. What seems to be helping him is I go to the door & say in an assertive tone "OK-Hush!" And if he keeps on I make the sound"Ehhnt!" or knock on the door loud once to get his attention. He stands there & looks at me then I say in a friendly tone when he's quiet for a minute "Good Hush!"but I have to be consistant with this or he will bark all of the time. He is only 8 months old now- I think the older he gets the better it will be.

MacGregor(Mac) answered on Oct 19th.

Answers

NuNu  {Nubert Nubinsky}

i think it should be ok.... i have the same prolbem, we just moved and nunu is always barking at the neighbors dogs!!! in the summer i would squirt him with the hose and say no barking, but now its getting cold to i use a spritz bottle and squirt his butt and say no barking, he basically dosent bark if he sees the purple squirt bottle, so its been working ok. Good luck... and im sure if the can thing isnt a good idea that someone else will be able to tell you, i personally dont see anything wrong with it, but i could be wrong

NuNu {Nubert Nubinsky} answered on 10/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

There really isn't a lot of information with your question, so it's difficult to give you a solution. What situations does Lady bark in? Is she outside by herself? What type of fence do you have? Can she see the neighbors or just hear them? All those are valid questions when addressing a barking problem.

Most dogs bark to alert you to the fact that there's a person in the next yard. (Sometimes out of excitement, sometimes being territorial, etc.) I've found a good way to address this is cutting your dog off after the first bark and saying, "Thank you. QUIET." Then rewarding them as soon as they stop barking. This way, the dog learns that it's okay to alert you (which is natural for a dog), but not okay to continue barking.

If this happens when Lady is outside unsupervised, consider spending time out with her. Dogs get bored and annoyed and it often leads to barking.

Ellie

We got Ellie to stop barking by throwing a cup of water in her face. Don't give her any attention just walk up throw the water say no and walk away.

Ellie answered on 10/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

RIP Atlas

the pennies thing is a good idea. the noise of the can and metal pennies is unpleasant to dogs. it doesnt hurt them but it will break their concentration on whatever is making them bark.

we have used this to stop our lab mix from attacking our purebred apbt male. since he has matured mush mouth has become a target of atlas. so we shake the can when he stares him down. this gets him to look at us, then we say no. or leave it. simply calling his name doesnt work because he's in the zone at that point. we want to prevent the attack not stop it once its in progress.

i dont see any reason why it wouldnt work for barking also.

RIP Atlas answered on 10/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer