Diesel

What is the best thing to do for an infected paw? Between toes is pusy from gravel damage

My dog was boarded at a kennel over the weekend that had gravel runs. My dog got so excited about the other dogs that all he did was run back and forth--damaging his pads in the gravel. One foot is so bad that it is slightly pusy and he won't walk on it. I was told to soak his foot in Epsom Salt. Someone else recommended Vitamin E Oil. HELP!!

Asked by Diesel on Jul 21st 2010 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Hector

Vitamin E oil is good for itchy patches and several other skin related issues, but I think your dog may need some antibiotic ointment. You can call your vet and he will probably prescribe something, but he may want to look at the damage to make sure it is cleaned properly. If it has gravel under the infection, it is probably really painful for Diesel. Epsom Salt is good for sore muscles, sprains and over all muscle relief, but I don't think it is effective for infection.

Since the infection is on his paw, anything you put on it, he will lick off before it has had a chance to be effective, so the vet may even wrap the paw. They can usually do it so that it stays on atleast for a few hours.

You could home treat, but keeping it covered is very hard, and again, you really will have to make sure the wound is really clean, so if you are sure enough that you can do it, then try neosporin before wrapping.

Hope the poor guy is feeling better soon. I know he must be miserable. :o(

Hector answered on 7/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cyndle

Actully Epsom Salt can be used for wounds and to help with infection. Though it is best to see your vet, my doggie has in infected hind leg where she has chewed it up because of her allergies, I found that a good way to keeep her from chewing or licking her wound is buy wrapping it with gauze and then self adhearing ace wrap, I actully was able to buy some at my local feed store for less money then walmart, it was in the horse section. However if you do use the ace wrap make sure you don't wrap it to tightly.

An e coller is aother good way to keep the doggie from chewing or lickng any topical medication you may use on the wound and to keep your dog from aggravating it even more.

Hope this helps

Cyndle answered on 7/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would definitely see a vet, as something like this can become seriously infected quickly!
I would also contact the kennel owner as, most likely, they will be responsible for the expense since the dog should have been watched and not allowed to injure himself. I know that if something like that happened in our boarding kennel we would definitely pay any related vet bills.

Any time there is a wound with pus or discharge, it's already infected.

You should take him to the vet to have it looked at, treated and wrapped so that he doesn't worse and the wounds have a chance to heal.

Soaking in epsom salts might be good, but why do anything until you know for sure from a qualified vet what to do.

Vitamin E is excellent at healing slightly broken skin but should NEVER EVER be used on a cut or infected wound. It can actually cause an infection on it's own in a deep cut since it acts a barrier which seals in infection or germs. Not what you want in a wound, particularly one with pus or drainage already.

Similarly, some people advise hydrogen peroxide, but this microscopically abrades the skin further and can push bad bacteria deeper into the tissue and cause a massive infection that needs more than topical cleaning to cure.

Definitely have this checked by the vet.

I hope Diesel is better soon! He looks like a lovely dog!

Soaking his paws in epsom salt is a great idea. It will help clean out the area and reducing some of the swelling. If he has a gaping wound I would take him to the vet for a stitch. If not and they are just sore, swollen, and a little tore up, I recommend using PETfection Paw Cream. It is an awesome 100% Organic cream that will heal up the paw pad, toes, and skin, block out infection, and reduce inflammation. It contains no chemicals or artificial ingredients so it is ok if your dog licks it. I love the stuff! They also offer a Hot Spots/Wound Spray which will also work if you would prefer a spray over a cream. You can check them out at www.myPETfection.com. Hope this helps, good luck!