what is the best method of cleaning a dogs teeth at home

I would appreciate any information what I can do to keep my dogs teeth clean
Also I would appreciate information about
Vet Cleaning of my dogs teeth
anesthesia vs no anesthesia

Thank You Very Much
Tom Lawson
Anesthesiologist
Columbus Ohio
614 537 7400

Asked by Member 867936 on Dec 6th 2009 Tagged cleaningdogsteeth in Dental Care

Answers

First, never use human toothpaste as it's dangerous for dogs. You have a couple of options when it comes to cleaning at home. First, you can buy a toothbrush and dog toothpaste at most pet supply stores. Toothbrushes usually have heads at each end for different sized dogs. Begin by allowing the dog to inspect the brush and taste the paste to get him used to it. Work up to the actual cleaning. Use lots of treats and praise.

You brush the teeth in a similar way to human teeth, starting at the gumline then a gentle downward circular sweep. It's not as important to do the insides of the teeth, the outsides are good enough, so don't feel you have to pry your dog's mouth open; it's not necessary and he won't allow you to do it as easily in the future.

Another popular method is to wrap a finger around a damp terry washcloth and clean the teeth that way. Again, insides not as important.

Anesthesia should be avoided unless the dog really truly needs a deep cleaning.

K-10 Von Canein

First off, being in your profession, you know the risks of anesthesia. Have you considered buying bully sticks for your dog? They are a great way to have the dog clean its own teeth. Having been on a raw diet for quite some time, we never even need to clean K-10's teeth. They never need it, and his breath is never bad.

K-10 Von Canein answered on 12/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Good advice above! May I add that raw meaty bones are also a good cleaner for teeth. Wiley is 5 1/2 & never had his teeth brushed, but the vet says his teeth are fabulous!

I second the suggestions for RMBs (raw meaty bones).
I went off to search for a thread for you to give you more information about them, and I finally found one:
www.dogster.com

There are other threads with more information on the Raw Diet Forum, but I couldn't find them, so please look for others if you are interested.

You can use dog tooth brush and dog toothpaste found at the pet store.

For hard tartar, you will need to have them scaled.
The vet can assist you in this, unless you want to buy the scalers at Foster's pet supply and do it yourself, I do this for one dog is very hard you will need an assistant.
The vet can do it but they lightly sedate the dog to do it. I don't know the different forms of sedation that each one uses, but it is easy to drop them off and pick them up later.

Phillip J. Fry

What do you guys think about greenies?
I've been feeding greenies since I've had a dog. I also brush once a month. And I'm just gonna keep that up untill his breath smells or teeth start to stain.

Phillip J. Fry answered on 12/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm Drake. I am a rescued 2&1/2 year old German Shepherd. When I arrived in my new home, my teeth were a mess. No decay, but very dirty. My owner gave me a chunk of loofah. She had soaked in in beef broth to attract my initial attention. But now they are my favorite chew toy. And when I soak them in my water dish, they have fabulous flopability. And when it's hot outside, she freezes one for me. They clean my teeth (everyone comments on how white they are) and as they are just the inside of a dried gourd, they also provide good fiber. Over the summer she bought them in 3 foot lengths at the Farmers Market, but I'm sure you could search the internet. They are divine!