Mimi

What is the best food for yorkshire terriers Royal Canin, Hill's science Diet, or Eukanuba ?

I am trying to pick the best one for my two Yorkshire terriers and trying to get some advice.

Asked by Mimi on Mar 14th 2008 Tagged royalcanin, hillssciencediet, eukanuba in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Out of those three specifically, I'd choose Royal Canin. I would stay as far away as possible from the Science Diet.

Not to make the choice even harder, but I would highly recommend Wellness brand. I feed Jack their food and it is very, very high quality, human grade food.

They have a lot of different flavors/formulas and all are great for any breed of dog.

I also would recommend Eagle Pack, which is an EXCELLENT brand. I would actually be feeding that to Jack, but he prefers the Wellness.

I know it is a tough decision!

I agree with Jack.
I used to feed my Yorkies Hill's Science Diet until I started doing more research and found out that was not actually a good food. I was so shocked by this! I almost felt decieved in to thinking is was good for them since it's "Vet Recommended"
To make a long story short.....
they eat Innova now, which is another good food. And you can really tell a difference in their hair (which is so important on Yorkies)and their energy level.
Good luck on your decision!!!

Rocky

I don't think any of these are the greatest but definately don't go with Eukanuba.

Rocky answered on 3/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Layla

I agree with everyone else in their recommendations. If you're a person who likes to do research on their own instead of taking the word of others, check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com or www.dogfoodproject.com both of which do reviews and explain ingredients in all the foods.

Good luck in your decision.

Layla answered on 3/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Lily

Jack is right as he usually is. But since you have plenty of time to decide, I'd go dogfoodanaylis.com and look up some of the foods available in your area. Science Diet is basically corn, which is awful. The #1 ingredient needs to be meat. Lily eats Canidae All Stages, which is for all dogs, puppy through senior, but the pieces might be a little large for a Yorkie pup at first. Premium Edge puppy is smaller. I guess you could put water on either one at first.

Lily answered on 3/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Never heard of Royal Canin myself, but most of us on Dogster absolutely hate Science Diet and Eukanuba. Yes, the vets do recommend them, but vets specialize in treating health problems, not nutrition. I would personally never trust a vet's opinion on what food is best. As long as what you are feeding works, there is no need to play musical dog foods.
Also remember, individual dogs may have individual nutritional needs so no one food would really work for all dogs.
I would highly recommend Lassie Natural Way. My dogs love it and they are in very, very good health.

Royal Canin is the lesser of those evils but I wouldn't feed any of them!
If you go over to the Dogster Food & Nutrition forum there are a lot of VERY dog food savvy people over there to help you out!
I feed Canidae...All USDA approved human grade ingredients & NO CORN!
Good luck in your search for what is good & healthy for your puppers!