what is the best dog to get for a 13 year old girl who is home alone alot but mostly likes small dogs?

Asked by Member 616264 on Apr 2nd 2008 in Adoption

Answers

Well, you'll need to resear different breeds that you like and pick out the best one. A good place to start your breed research is ack.org.
Next, once you decide what breed, you need to find it. Pet stores are not good places to get a dog. A shelter or rescue group would be best. You can find tons of purebred shelter/rescue group dogs looking for homes on petfinder.com.
The next step after you pick out a dog is to arrnage to have your dog come meet your potnetial new dog on neutral terf (like a park) to make sure that they will get along.
Good luck and hope that you find the dog you are looking for!

Lily

My 13 year old granddaughter loves her Chihuahua.

Lily answered on 4/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pedro

Well there really isn't 1 particular dog that we can tell U 2 go get that will B excellent 4 your daughter.The best thing 2 do is 2 take a bunch of trips 2 the shelter & see what U get along with as a family.I really recommend a dog from the shelter becasue they need homes more so then a dog that is coming from a breeder.If U want 2 skip all of the puppy house training & such then that would B an ecclent place 2 start. Petfinder.com is a good place 2 go as well.U can do some research on certain breeds here by going 2 breed info.U can also go 2 AKC.org & look at all the pure bred dogs there & then be able 2 find a combo of both at the shelter.Once U have found something that U may like come back & post another post & maybe we can refer U in a certain direction,maybe 2 someone on here that may have what U R looking 4.What area R U in?That may help us find someone in your area.9 million pets were put 2 sleep last year from over population so we recommend rescuing to prevent this.

Pedro answered on 4/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kobe

My Pomeranians are very friendly, very affectionate, fun but not overly hyper. They make great companion and are easy to care for. Your daughter is not too young so look into Poms. They make great pets.

Kobe answered on 4/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dora

well, I'm not sure what kind of small dog breed you are interested in but here is my opinion. I have a toy rat terrier and she is wonderful with my daughter who is 11 and is also great to be left alone. I never crated my dog so when i'm gone i know she has the run of the house. I totally trust her and she never ever gets into anything. She's the perfect little dog, very friendly and loves people. The only time she barks is when she hears a strange noise or something. There are many different little dog breeds out there, you just have to find which one is perfect for you. I found my dora on www.puppyfind.com we all fell in love with her and she is a great addition to our family.

Good luck with everything!!

Dora answered on 4/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Layla

I agree that you need to do your research before you introduce a dog into your family. Certain breeds are sometimes more suited for certain lifestyles. For example, how much exercise are you willing to give your dog (walks, not backyard time). How large is your house, how much training are you willing to put into the dog (some breeds are said to be easier to train than others), etc.

You really need to determine all these things BEFORE you visit a shelter. And you'll be surprised at the great and already trained dogs you can get from a rescue or a shelter.

Check out this website to answer a few questions and get an idea of what breed might be good for you (but dont take it as gospel)

animal.discovery.com

Layla answered on 4/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sandy

I have both Chihuahuas and Pomeranians and both would make wonderful pets for a 13 yr old girl. My dogs love to cuddle, they love to go out, and they are small enough to be carried in a doggy bag. Chihuahuas and Pomeranians a very loyal to their owners and also very protective. They both make great companions and would alert your daughter to anyone coming near your home. Puppies, although very cute, take alot of patience. You can also adopt an adult dog. I found several of my dogs on Petfinder.com. Good luck and I hope you find the right dog for your family. I love my dogs so much and wouldn't trade the world for them.

Sandy answered on 5/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer