Ludo

What is the best car for dogs these days?

I love the idea of setting up a safe space in the cargo area, but hate for him not to have an openable window. The Toyota 4Runner is the only one with that option, but I am hoping to be swayed by another dog owner's experience.

Asked by Ludo on Jun 21st 2013 Tagged travel, car, cargo in Travel & Recreation

Answers

It depends on how big your dog is, Ludo. For smaller dogs, any hatchback or wagon will do. For larger dogs, trucks or SUV's with fold-down rear seats are good. Note that with any vehicle high up off the ground, as the dogs age, jumping in will be a problem, and they might not take to a ramp or stairs. Pookie refused to use dog stairs after she went blind, so I gave them away. Tasha needs to be picked up in and out of the car at this point, and she's down to 65 lbs., so it takes two people to do it. ^_^