What is the best breed of dog for elderly couple/apartment dewellers?

Asked by Member 973570 on Mar 13th 2010 in Breeds

I recommend adult dogs on the older side, or elderly dogs on the younger side. You should get a German Shepard Dog, Poodle, Shih Tzu, Lhasa Apso, Maltese, or Bichon Frise.

Jet answered on 3/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Any dog can be a good dog for older people. But, I would not recommend you to get a large dog, or any dog that will need a lot of exercise.

Here are a list of breeds that are good with older people:

Bichon Frise
Boston Terrier
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Cocker Spaniel
Golden Retriever
Labrador Retriever
Lhasa Apso
Shi - Tzu

The Labrador Retriever is a high active breed dog, but is a great dog for pretty much anyone. The Golden Retriever is a high active dog, too. But, they are great with older people. If you can give 1-2 walks a day, and lots of play time, this breed would be right for you. I would consider adopting an older Lab or Golden Retriever, their less active. Older dogs' are going to be less active.

All the other dogs' I listed have low to moderate activity. They would be good for elderly people. But, toy dogs can be barkers, which might not be good for an apartment.

Good luck! I hope you find a dog!

A Japanese Chin! These dogs are actually almost cat-like. They are small, and were actually bred to simply be lap dogs. They love to sun themselves and clean themselves and are not known to be barkers at all. They are prone to the usual flat-faced breed problems, but if you buy from a reputable breeder, there aren't a lot of health problems known in this breed yet.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 3/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Daisy's one sister actually went to a older retired couple. Was the perfect home for her. Last I heard she was doing great! There are lots of breeds that would work but check the papillon out. They are great especially if there people are around all the time. They love that. :D
Theres some really great info about the breed. There are lots of rescues as well that are looking for great homes.

Daisy answered on 3/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Well, you'd probably want a dog that didn't require a lot of excersize and wasn't a chronic barker, so:

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Shih Tzu
Bichon Frise
Lhasa Apso

You could also adopt an older retired Greyhound or Whippet--while they would need daily walks and a chance to run sometimes, they're surprisingly laid-back and can be total couch potatoes.

Tika answered on 3/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would say that it's less about breed and more about the individual.

You can have hyper or calm dogs of any breed.

Labs, though wonderful family dogs, are notorious for being hyper when young and they have LONG puppyhood's, so I can't imagine they would be a good general choice. You'd have to look at individual dogs in order to be sure the energy level corresponds to what kind of level of activity the elderly couple would have.

I'd not recommend a hyper, 65 lb lab who can pull over even a strong younger person.

BUT you may find a young lab who is not hyper and would be a good match.

Try going to a shelter, spending time with some dogs and see how they react to you and how much energy they have. That's a much better idea than getting a general list of dogs who may or may not be appropriate for you, when it comes down to it.

no they should not get a german shepherd, no don't.
I have had several and they require a good handler.
If you are wondering and are elderly the poodle is great and the Boston terrier is great.
I just love my Boston he is such a sweet dog, so very social, and loving.
They are very low maintaince also. They are happy so happy indoors. He is smart check out his page