what is safe age for my 3 month old boarder collie female to get fixed?

Asked by Member 1063632 on Oct 15th 2011 in Health & Safety

Answers

I've had puppies in the past who have gotten spayed/neutered at 8 weeks of age, he is a great vet too so we didn't ever have any problems with anything. No, 3 months isn't too young to get your puppy spayed, just find the right vet.

Six months is generally considered a good age. I'd go with that.

That said, there are those who feel that for large breeds you should wait until their growth is actually finished. I'm not sure if this applies to Border Collies or not.

I personally don't think that spaying/neutering before six months is the best idea. I understand why animal rescues/shelters do it for the dogs they have up for adoption, but outside of that I don't support it. I think it can mess with a puppy's growth. It's not terrible, just not the best idea.