What is Idiopathic Head Tremors, what are the causes and cures?

My 3 year old English Bulldog is having head tremors, involuntary shaking of his head only. They are periodic and last anywhere from 1 - 2 minutes. What is the cause, treatment and/or cure?

Asked by Member 892766 on Sep 24th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

B.J., CGC

Idiopathic means without known cause. What does your vet say in terms of treatment??? I would assume this is most likely a form of epilepsy, which, when referred to as idiopathic, has no known cause and/or cure. It can be treated with various drugs, again, you need to contact your vet about this. I do know that this idiopathic head tremors in bulldogs and most idiopathic epilepsy IS considered hereditary and your dog should never be used for breeding. You should also notify his breeder about this condition so they can make an informed decision about breeding his parents again.

B.J., CGC answered on 9/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

maggie

Possibly not the same problem...but blood poisoning from a malfunctioning liver can & does cause epilepsy type symptoms. Our Scottish terrier started waving her head around and this was due to bad blood products from a liver invaded with cancer.
I'm no vet and your dog probably doesn't have cancer, but from our first hand experience, try and carefully analyse as to whether the periods of head tremors can be altered by altering the type of food you are feeding her. There is now a lot of advice on the internet about what home prepared food is best to help dogs with cancer.
You can't help smile when most commercial dog food says in small writing..not for human consumption...My motto is if you love your dog...fed her what you could eat as well!

maggie answered on 9/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have two Beagles of my own and my youngest is 1.5 and shes had idiopathic head tremors since she was at least six months old. How ever it took until just a few months ago to diagnose her. I was able to take a video of the tremors which is what helped the vet to diagnose her. He told us we could discus an anti-seaser medication, however because she is coherent throughout the tremor we do not need to look at medicating her. My older Beagle will give us warning by getting up and lying beside her, I have discovered that if you ask her to give you a kiss it will end the tremor and she now will try to do it on her own. we have been lucky so far they do not happen often but because they are not causing her neurological damage we have learned to ride them out. We think that when she eats her feces it can cause them because 24-48 hours after eating it she will have a tremor. When she was a pup she was given the pills to stop it and the MSG has had a lingering effect when she eats feces.