Ghost

What is going on with my dog? Why is she so anxious?

My Dog is a husky/heeler/wolfhound mix, approximately 3 years old. She is walked off leash in a wilderness-type area three times a week for one hour each time. I run an inhome daycare, and so am home with her the majority of each day, the exception being if I go out in the evening, which is rarely more than two hours at a time. Her manner around the kids is fantastic, she is very gentle, patient and has never shown any aggression in any situation. The problem is when I have to leave the house, she consistently chews random items - pens, books, mittens, etc. She also scratches at our sliding patio doors trying to get out and jumps on the dining room table and barks loudly while we are leaving (I've seen her do both these things). I have to block the patio door because she can unlock and slide it open. She takes containers of food off the counter, opens them and eats whatever is inside, even if she has just been fed. I have tried leaving her dog toys with food, bully sticks, bone

Asked by Ghost on Dec 26th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Chase

Have you ever tried crate training her? I would recommend it. Not only will it stop her from destroying things in your home, but it has the added bonus of giving her a feeling of safety because she'll be in her own little space.
Chase loves her kennel, and will often sleep there throughout the day while we're at home.

Chase answered on 12/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Because she's a husky, I would suggest daily walks rather than three times a week. That will cut down on some anxiety, but I think what you're describing is separation anxiety, something else for which huskies are somewhat famous. I agree that crate training is probably your best bet. I'd start feeding her in there and give her a treat every time she goes in, put on a Kong by itself or with peanut butter inside. She might not love it at first, but eventually she'll feel nice and secure, plus you'll feel comfortable knowing she's safe while you're gone.