What is BHA (used as preservative) in Milo's Kitchen Beef Sausage Slices with rice. I thought this was harmful to pets.

I bought Milo's Kitchen Beef Sausage slices with rice and it said made in USA/San Francisco (distributed in) Also noted that it contained BHA for preservative. This has been banned in California I know for some products and there are several ads for dog foods that say don't give your dog food containing BHA. I found out that even though not displayed on the package, it is made by Delmonte Corp which also lied to me about milkbone dog bisquits. What exactly is BHA and since Milkbone bisquits are from China, could Delmonte be lying again about where their products come from? I have noticed lately that most dog food come from China. Also I have noticed that a lot of human food like frozen corn, broccoli, etc comes from China. What is the name of the dog food that comes in a dairy case cooler and is it made in USA? (All ingredients) Now I wouldn't trust Delmonte for pet or human food. Again, what is BHA in simple terms. I hate companies that outsource. Proctor and Gamble is another/Iams.

Asked by Member 1070860 on Jan 9th 2012 Tagged bha, delmonte, china, badadditives, proctorgamble, outsourcing in Pet Food

Answers

Petri

BHA is a chemical compound used to prevent rancidity of fats. It is used to preserve food odor, color, and flavor. There is ongoing research to determine if it is safe or not. There are studies that show it can cause health issues. I'm sure your food is made in the USA if this is what's on the label. The FDA and Dept of Agriculture have strict demands on food labels and what needs to be printed. Hope this helps; you can certainly find more details on an internet search.

Petri answered on 1/10/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tiara

Thanks for asking this, my dogs also like the treats, but I will not feed them anymore if they are not safe.

Tiara answered on 1/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Starbutt

look at this link

www.dogfoodadvisor.com

might help

They have to put somthing in it to perserve it don't they?

Rhayden

Starbutt answered on 2/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer