what is an affordable good puppy food for a low income family for a dog needing to put on weight?

Asked by Member 1095960 on Feb 28th 2012 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

I would say Iams or Purina One are good brands for a low income family. They have much better nutrition than Kibbles N Bits, Beneful, etc.

Diamond Naturals is cheap-ish and is corn, soy, and wheat free and only uses real meat (not byproducts or vegetable concentrates) for protein sources. It's available in many feed/farm stores.

Costco's house brand Kirkland Signature is also very good value for the price. It's super-cheap and actually good quality.

I have also had luck with the discount brand Nutra Nuggets. They have a "high performance" line that is high in fat and protein for working dogs, which would help a skinny dog gain weight. The price is very reasonable and the ingredients not bad.

Whatever brand you pick, make to check the Guaranteed Analysis for fat/protein and calorie count.

Check these out to learn how to pick dogfood:
www.dogfoodproject.com
www.dogfoodadvisor.com
dogaware.com

Nutro Max is not as high as other foods and is an all natural food with no by-products or fillers in it. I feed it when I am tight on money.