Yoda

What is a toy that could take a dogs attention for a few hours?

My dogs, Sassy and Yoda, have to stay in my grandparents basement....its not that they dont like dogs its just that we have little children that they could knock over. :D any how they have to be down there for quite a few hours, while family is over and so i need ideas to keep them busy for 2 hours or more ....hope you can help :)

Asked by Yoda on Dec 21st 2009 in Toys

Answers

The Kong, stuff food in it and freeze it and your dog will be buisy for ALONG time.

Katie

Hi Sassy and Yoda!

I agree that a Kong is a good diversion, but I would also start working on improving behavior with little kids around. It's not the dogs' fault that they don't know how to behave with children - it's the owner's responsibility to teach them!

Pick up a copy of How to Teach a New Dog Old Tricks by Dr. Ian Dunbar. He has a great section on how to teach a dog to sit when greeting people, especially children. The fun training exercises will give the kids a chance to interact with the dogs in a way that builds their self-esteem, as well as teaching the dogs how to greet small people politely.

You might also want to take the dogs on a walk with the kids - that way, they can enjoy going somewhere, and burn some energy, instead of being cooped up for hours on end.

If you have a local dog park or dog beach, take the dogs for an hour or so. If you bring the children, teach them to speak and walk slowly and quietly, so they won't be knocked over by other dogs. Good luck!

Katie answered on 12/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer