what is a teddy bear dog

Asked by Member 529295 on Nov 11th 2007 in Breeds

Answers

Magnum NAJ O-TN-N OJC WV-N

Since you weren't very specific I'm not sure what you mean, but I've heard of Labrador Retrievers being called big teddy bears.

Magnum NAJ O-TN-N OJC WV-N answered on 11/11/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

~Emma~ RL1

I have also heard wheaten terriers referred to that way. esp. the puppies

~Emma~ RL1 answered on 11/11/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Vance CGC

If I understand the question correctly, a "teddy bear dog" is a mix of breeds thrown together in a way that the puppy looks like a teddy bear. It is not a real breed, and people have not been doing this very long. Therefore the results of these mixed breedings may turn out any way, with some pups looking "teddy"ish and others not. As with most deliberately mixed breeds, the people doing the breeding are most likely doing it poorly and for the wrong reasons (to cash in on a trend).

The kicker is that it really is only the puppies that look like little bears. The adults pretty much always outgrow the rounded features and fuzziness and look like normal mixed breed small dogs.

So essentially, it's a very expensive mutt with a shady background.

Vance CGC answered on 11/11/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer