What is a good inexpensive dog food?

I just went to the petstore to buy my usual dog food for my two dogs and the price was $13.00 higher than the last time that I got it. I can't spend almost $100 on dogfood a month, unfortunately. My dogs are my children, but that is more than I can afford. I have always bought them Nutro, Lamb Meal and Rice. Thank you for any suggestions!

Asked by Cody on Jun 12th 2008 in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Canidae is about $1 a pound in the big bags. Because it is so high calorie, a dog eats less - 3 cups for a 75 pound dog.
$.75 x 2 dogs= $1.50 x 30 days = $45.00 a month for 2 dogs.
Human grade meat as the #1 ingredient, natural preservatives, no corn, no wheat, no soy, no pesticides, and lots of other good stuff make it a good buy. The most bang for my buck, IMO. The original 4 meat formula is fine unless your dog has a tender tummy, then the Chicken & Rice is recommended. The Lamb & Rice is a little more. Lily has colitis, so she eats the C & R and has done very well on it.
Their website has a store locator.

Lily answered on Jun 12th.

Diamond NATURALS (also marketed under the Cosco Kirkland brand name) is really good food & runs about 18-20$ for 40 lbs.

Miss Buddie

Our vet recommended Purina Pro Plan for our pooches. We get the Lamb & Rice formula. They love it and it's very reasonable. We buy it at Petsmart.

Miss Buddie answered on 6/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Check out this thread

It will show you how to figure out how much a whole bunch of foods cost and that way you can choose what will be the cheapest for you.

Sedona answered on 6/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer