Sophie

What is a good dog food brand that's fairly inexpensive but high-quality?

We tried to switch our dog's foods before but they had terrible diahrea and they threw up incesantly. I wasn't expecting this, but at the same time, I'd prefer a quality food brand. We're currently feeding them Alpo but I feel that a better brand has more perks and things to offer than our current choice. Any suggestions?

Asked by Sophie on Feb 6th 2012 Tagged food, brands, help, alpo in Pet Food

Answers

Alpo is definitely not a good brand, it's very low quality.

Good brands (better than most) that are fairly inexpensive that I would recommend would be Canidae, Timberwolf Organics, Merrick, Solid Gold, Newman's Own Organics Dog Food and Eagle Pack Holistic.

Here are their sites -

www.canidae.com

timberwolforganics.com

www.merrickpetcare.com

www.solidgoldhealth.com

www.newmansownorganics.com

www.eaglepack.com

Out of all of these foods, the best ones would be either Solid Gold or Timberwolf Organics. Timberwolf Organics just came out with a couple new flavors too. I recommend Timberwolf Organics grain free foods which are Ocean Blue Candid Formula and Wild and Natural Dry Candid Formula.

Schatzie

When you switch your dogs food it has to be done slowly. It should take about 1 week to fully switch them over.
The foods mentioned previously are very good foods, but you asked for inexpensive foods. You're feeding alpo which is not very good but maybe you feed this because you don't have a lot of money top spend on dog food.
So I will try to help you out with some DECENT dog foods for your price range. Of course if you can afford the foods mentioned in the first answer by all means please do.
The best thing to do is always read the ingredients :)

Iams has several formulas which begin with whole chicken and even have a grain free formula now!

Purina one, purina one Beyond, and purina pro plan.

Petsmart has their own brand of food called Authority and it is good as well.

Avoderm.

Blue buffalo

These are the very, very, basic brands you can always find at your local petsmart. They are of decent quality, if you read the ingredients you will know what to choose.

Schatzie answered on 2/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Some diarrhea is to be expected when switching foods, so it's generally a good idea to switch brands gradually. May not completely prevent it, but it should help.

Here's a helpful thread about what to look for in a food: www.dogster.com
Some less expensive good brands include Whole Earth Farms, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Diamond Naturals (NOT regular Diamond), Kirkland, and Taste of the Wild. All fall within the range of $20 to I think $28.
I used to consider that expensive, as you probably do now, but as most of the other brands recommended on this site are like $60, it's a good deal.

Once when the pet store had a sale, if I remember correctly I got like four 15 lb bags of Whole Earth Farms for $20.
I fed a rotation diet at the time, which meant I fed more than one brand. When we finished one bag, we bought another brand. It helped with expenses.

Tiara

If you are looking for something a bit cheaper. Nutro Max is an all natural food with no by-products or fillers and is cheaper then some of the others talked about.

Tiara answered on 2/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer