Brooklyn

what is a good affordable dog food brand?

I am a college student so raw diet is out of the question i just don't have the time or the money. Also, there aren't many stores around my apartment that sell pet products, therefore i find myself kind of limited. Any opinions and/or suggestions are appreciated!

Asked by Brooklyn on Aug 12th 2010 in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

What's really in pet food? -

www.bornfreeusa.org

Stay away from brands like:

Purina
Iams
Ol' Roy
Nutro
Bil Jac
Royal Canin
Science Diet
Pedigree

There are many more brands to stay away from.

Bad dog food is one of the leading causes to medical problems.

Dog foods I highly recommend:

Orijen
Solid Gold
Merrick B.G.
Canidae
Honest Kitchen

Ingredients to stay away from -

Corn
Soy
Caramel color
Artifical flavorings & colors
Rice
Potato product
Wheat mill run
By-products
Cane molasses
Sugar
Animal fat

There are so many more bad ingredients to stay away from.

Please do get your dog on a better dog food!

answered on Aug 12th.

Answers

Winnie Mae

Wellness and Solid Gold are pretty inexpensive and quality foods. Also Blue Buffalo can be cheaper, depending on where you get it from. Taste of The Wild also, I know PetCo sells that, not sure about PetSmart though.

Winnie Mae answered on 8/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Momma's Girls

Good luck! We feed our girls Taste of the Wild, it's a nice grain free food and they seem to love it. If you buy the bigger bags you save more money and they last pretty long for us. Petsmart in our area doesnt sell it though, we get it at Mr.Pet. ;)

Momma's Girls answered on 8/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You can shop online and ask for reduced shipping.
I think if raw ever fails for me, that Innova beef would be my next option.
There is also Pinnacle trout and something I just saw, that would be a choice too.
For premium foods they do cost more. Less fillers, more $$
I pay for raw for our non allergic dog she weighs 90 lbs. and I spend $18.90 for one month of food for her. I buy a 40# case of chicken quarters. I think for the money that is cheaper then paying 60- 90 dollars of kibble that would only last her about one week. The premium of Orijen is about $2 a pound. And say if I fed Royal Canin at 60.00 a 29 # bag would last her about a week too. With kibble you have to fed depending on the dog and the protein level more then raw, I think.
Just wanted to throw prices out there. I think you'd like Innova lines.

I LOVE the pictures of Brooklyn - very happy, great looking dog!

I have nothing to add on the foods list, all brands mentioned are great.

To protect larger dogs from Bloat, a potentially fatal condition in large lean dogs, it is recommended to add something to dry kibble.

It can be as simple as a little water stirred in. I mix in either a bit of canned or home cooked, or even a bit of raw ground meat.

Anything to make sure the dog eats slow.