Brody

What ingrediant in dog shampoo can cause a dog to get a rash?

Asked by Brody on Mar 6th 2012 Tagged shampoo, allergy, rash in Grooming

Answers

Dogs can be allergic to anything. So, if you think the shampoo your using is making your dog get a rash, then I would change shampoos. Good Luck!

One thing to keep in mind, ANY shampoo can cause skin irritation if you don't rinse it all out- so rinse, rinse, rinse, then rinse some more to be sure! It should take several minutes- don't just rinse until the water looks clear, keep doing a little longer just to be sure.

Petri

A lot of the times the sulfates in dog shampoo can cause increased dryness and itchiness. If he has been scratching a lot or rubbing his back on the floor this may be what caused the rash. Also if a shampoo is not rinsed out well it can leave residue behind and irritate the dogs skin and fur. You might try switching to an all natural or organic shampoo in case he is extra sensitive. I love to use PETfection Puppy Suds because it cleans well, rinses out easily, and moisturizes. Hope this helps!

Petri answered on 3/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

J

I think it depends on the shampoo. As others suggested make sure you rinse your dog quite a few times. My dog is allergic to everything! We have struggled to find a gentle shampoo for her. Her vet sold us a Virbac product which actually irritated her. Just got the Zymox Enzymatic Shampoo and also the Conditioning Rinse which seem wonderful so far. The shampoo gets her clean without causing redness or itchy skin -- plus the Zymox has different vitamins on the ingredient list so I know it's good for her.

J answered on 3/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer