WHAT IF A DOG HAS BLACK GUMS IT DOES IT MEAN IT IS A GOOD DOG

PEOPLE HAS SAID THAT IT IS GOOD TO HAVE DOGS WITH BLACK TEETH

Asked by Member 940102 on Jan 21st 2010 in Mixed Breeds

Answers

Jet

Jet has black gums and he has had no dental problems and has been very healthy except for a few fleas which we fixed when he was a pup. I don't think it has anything to do with personality, though. Just appreciate and love your dog no matter what.

Jet answered on 1/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's just gum coloring, just like people's different skin coloring. Dogs have varying gum color.

It doesn't mean that their teeth are any more or less healthy than dogs with pink gums.

The only time gum color is a concern is if a dog has very white or extremely pale pink gums, which indicates heart disease or very serious blood pressure issues.

But a mix of black and pink is totally normal.

I am confused, first black gums, then the second sentences says black teeth.

The color of the gums is of no particular clue the dog is better.
The quality or the color of the gums doesn't make the dog better then one with pink gums.
This must be a myth someone is telling you.

I'm with Dieta...black gums..no worries...black teeth? That's a different story!

Sheba

Ditto

Sheba answered on 1/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Engel

If a dog has black gums that has nothing to do with a dog's behavior and personality. It's just how they were born.

Engel answered on 1/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

bandit

I think people are talking about the old wives' tale that says if the roof of a dog's mouth is black you have a good dog or a smart dog. From what I have been able to tell is black or dark dogs will have a black roof. White or light dogs will have pink roofs. Like I said, just an old wives' tale.

bandit answered on 1/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Old wive's tale.