Cuca (coo-ka)

What games or training is there for a dog with a hunting instincts?

She loves to chase lizards in the desert but I am worried about her. I want to find an activity that will give her the same joy or types of training to nurture her instincts.

Asked by Cuca (coo-ka) on Aug 23rd 2010 Tagged nurturingadogsinstincts in Methods of Training

Answers

Shiver Me Timbers

Look up 'Flirt Pole'. It's a great way of keeping the dog entertained and putting their instincts into a controlled environment. You could also start doing some small tracking training with her, if she's got the hunting instincts. I find they work great with hunting breeds that need to learn how to focus on their handlers instructions, while being in those situations. Most of all, make it all fun!

Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie" answered on 8/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

they sell scenting bottles in the hunting section of wal mart. You can place scenting oils on toys and hide them in a hand made pile of grass ect... but remember to tear down your pile afterwards because you don't want to let snakes hide in your game pile.
But, the scenting bottles should be fun for your dog. You can drag your feet all the way out to the pile and gently hold back the dog some while you show him your tracks. He should love it.
We do foot step tracking in grass , my dog loves it. If she find the articles I leave then she indicates she found them, then i give her a reward, food. :)

Good suggestions from Charlie & Dieta. I would add doing nosework training also. There is a good thread going in the behavior & training forum about it.