What food is the best for puppies?

Goodmorning,

I'm going to acquire a puppy tomorrow and I want to ask you guys, what is the most nutritious dog food brand(dry and in can). There are so many brands that I have been confused I would be grateful if you could help me

Asked by Member 1231151 on Aug 17th 2014 Tagged dogfood, dryfood, cannedfood, nutritiousfood in Pet Food

Answers

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

Your best bet is to stick with the food the puppy is currently eating. With so much change in her life going to a new home and a new lifestyle she needs something as important as her food and her feeding schedule to remain constant.
As a breeder I provide all new puppy owners with WRITTEN feeding instructions and a generous supply of the food the pup is currently eating. Nothing is more upsetting to me than having that new owner call me to tell me the pup has diarrhea, vomiting, or worse. Upon questioning they have ALWAYS changed the pups food, amount to be fed or even increased the feeding times per day etc. Once the pup goes back onto the written schedule and the food I provided, all is well again.
If you really want to change you need to wait until the pup has completely adjusted to your life, then do a change by very slowly adding a small amount of the new food and removing the same amount of the old, gradually increasing the amount of new over a two week or more time span.

Toto, CD, RN, CGC answered on 8/18/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Willow

Look at the ingredients on the bag to make sure there are no by-products, wheat, corn, corn gluten, artificial vitamins and minerals. These ingredients do not digest well with you dog You want a dense product where they will eat less, less pooh and vet bills. If your dog is going to be over 50lbs then you want to feed him a large breed formula that will have the right phosphorus/calcium ratios for their bones and joints. There are a lot of good products out there to choose from. Use the internet as your research tool. I feed Nutro Natural Choice Fish to my Aussie.

Willow answered on 8/19/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Stick with what the breeder is feeding while you research the best food for your pup. There are some nice websites to help you choose, like dogfoodadvisor.com. If you find a food you want to change to, do it very SLOWLY, mixing a little bit of the new food in with the old. A little more new food each day and a little less of the old.