What else can I give my dog to make her poop less watery?

Ever since I adopted my dog Sunshine a year and a half ago, whenever she goes poop, its usually watery. I've been giving her some Benefiber and putting it in her food, but, it doesn't always help and we give her about a teaspoon of benefiber each night in her dinner.

Is there anything else we can give her or do for her so that she'll stop going diarea and have solid poop instead?

Asked by Member 992444 on Jun 14th 2010 Tagged poop, bathroom in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Seth

Well i have never heard of giving your dog benifiber, so I am not sure if that may be what she needs. You did not say what kind of food you are feeding the dog. A high quality food may help to furm up the dogs poop. If you do feed good food then i would talk to the vet about it the next time you take her in.

Seth answered on 6/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It is probably the food you are feeding. A lot of dogs have digestive problems. Switch her to a better food like Orijen, Merrick, Solid Gold, or Timberwolf. What brand of food are you feeding right now?

To learn more about pet food, check this website out:

www.bornfreeusa.org

However, you can use pumpkin, sweet potato, or baby food to make her poop solid. You can put this in her food.

Maverick

I would stop feeding the benefiber. My vet recommends canned pure pumpkin. Try a tablespoon or two depending on her weight. It should help firm things up. Also, check the ingredients of your food. I would recommend trying Nutro Natural Choices Venison formula specially formulated for sensitive stomachs. The first ingredient is venison meal. The food doesn't contain ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, or artificial colors or preservatives. If you do switch foods be sure to do so slowly and gradually over a week.

Check out the website at:
www.thenutrocompany.com

Maverick answered on 6/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Most diarrhea problems come from parasites. If so, changing food won't help. Has the vet done fecal tests? Sometimes they miss something the first test. Only rechecking turns up the problem.

We have had 20 different puppies since 1991, and never had to change food to solve a loose stool problem. Never. That is feeding pro Plan and similar foods.

If your dog has watery poop it's more than a food problem. It's parasites and she needs to see the Vet.
After a year and a half of watery poop she should have nutritional deficiencies and may be under-weight.

After seeing the Vet and having proper treatment you may add a teaspoon of plain cultured yogurt to help add healthy bacteria back into her system.

That is a human product that is not designed for dogs at all.
Always be super careful to not give dogs and animals human meds.
Only consult and follow a vet's advice and seek medical attention for long term problems such as yours.
Many dogs can get several medical issues with their intestinal tracts. The best thing at this time is to go to a vet's office and explain what the problem is and bring a stool sample.
I won't recommend anything to you because the dog needs to be seen by a licensed vet, we are not doctors and we shouldn't suggest things that are long term like this, it could make the dog sicker.
I hope you do take the dog in and let us know what happened later. :)

I agree with the other posters that your dog needs to see a veterinarian and have this problem properly diagnosed, especially since it has continued for so long. Obviously, there is something seriously wrong here, and only a vet can help discover what it is and work out a solution to her issue. Please see a vet ASAP!!!