what dog would you recommend for a family with young children from 4 to 8, the dog must also be good with kids outside a

Asked by Member 1157710 on Mar 2nd 2013 in Dogs & Kids

Answers

Jasper

No small dogs...I would say a retriever...shepherd ..or a new foundland. All are very trainable. New foundlands get very big..but they are so gentle and they dont need much exercise..

Jasper answered on 3/3/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Whatever breed you choose, make sure it has been successfully socialized with children, and ask if it has a bite history. That sounds obvious, but sometimes people don't ask because they assume someone would tell them, which isn't the case. I would choose a young adult dog because there are fewer surprises and you already have a lot on your hands with young children. Retrievers, shepherd, and mastiffs love their families, are sturdy, and like being outdoors. If you go for a small dog, a pug is good option because they're not fine-boned like many smaller breeds and they tend to have a pretty good sense of humor.

fi fi

I know this answer may be critisised but I have had staffordshire bull terriers all my life and have brought them up alongside my children from being small babys and in my eyes I couldnt reccomend a better dog always see both parents to check for temprements. Know my children are grown and my last staffy passed away last year I now have a chihuahua and as tiny as she is I wouldnt trust her with children and with all my staffys they were my kids protecters they would do anything to please and will give you and your children 100 percent xxxxx

fi fi answered on 3/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Why not go to a shelter and find a loving dog (any age) that interacts well with the family? Why does it have to be a breed (answer: it doesn't!!) There are purebreeds in shelters too, great dogs whose owners can't afford them or are allergic, etc. You do not need to pay $600 to find a nice family dog. Check out your local shelter over the weekend and give a homeless dog a chance! ^_^