What dog would be right for my family?

Okay I am asking for a dog for christmas but my parents want me to resarch to find the perfect breed so im gonna tell you about my family and you can help me. My dad and stepmom wants it to be mine, i live in a 3 story 4 bed 3 bath hom we live on a hill, we have a big back yard with no fence. My step mom/ family dog is a black male lab, he is 6 and very lazy (98lbs) and he is shy with other dogs, when they come in he goes to his cage. He thinks he is human he eat some of our food, sleeps with my parents or near thier bed, he wines when he wants to go out, he is a picky eater, he sleeps all day, he is very obidient and knows how to shake hands and ive never heard a mean grow or bark. I just wanna smaller laid back cuddely dog, i was considering a maltese. we also live in nc incase you need to know the climate. Im 14 tooo

Asked by Member 1140073 on Nov 10th 2012 Tagged adopt in Breeds

Answers

You told us a lot about your family dog, but not much about you. Here are some questions you need to answer, then repost your answers & we can be a lot more helpful.
Exercise...how much are you realistically able to do? an hour/day? 20 minutes? 2 hours? What kind..walk, jog, hike, bike, rollerblade, skateboard, fetch at the park? What will you do : Agility? Schutz? Obedience? Conformation? Rally O? Just plain old fun?
Grooming...do you want a dog that only sheds a little? Once a week brushing? Go to a groomer?
Do you want a dog who is friendly to all? Bonded only to you? Aloof with strangers? Velcro:by your side constantly, or lays by himself when you're busy?
Always *on ready to go?Or an *off switch..couch potato, but ready for action when you are?
For a 1st dog I highly recommend a rescue or shelter dog. I would get a young adult small mixed breed that has been in foster care. They will have the hard work done & their personality known.
You will need a fence for your yard or a kennel