Tobi

What dog food is most suitable for a basset hound?

My friend just become the proud owner of a basset hound puppy. The puppy is currently being fed Purina Puppy Chow, however, she would like to transition the puppy to a more suitable food. She asked me for my opinion, but with all the overwhelming and contradictory information I’ve been reading lately with regards to dog food I wasn’t sure what to tell her. I do know that basset hound owners must be particularly vigilant with managing their dog’s weight, and she wants to stick to a dry kibble of some sort. Any suggestions on which food I should recommend? And for those of you that own a basset hound, what do you feed them?

Asked by Tobi on Apr 15th 2009 Tagged bassethound, puppy, food, nutrition in Pet Food

Best Answer

Actually Purina Puppy Chow isn't that good a food. There are quite a few studies showing that a diet of quality meat protiens and quality ingredients does benefit the dog. Just as it benefits people. Diet is very important for us and equally so for dogs.

Any good quality food will be fine for a Basset just as any other breed. Monitor the weight and give plenty of exercise.

Wellness
Orijen
Acana
Solid Gold
Blue Buffalo
Innova
California Natural
Nature's Variety
To name a few

answered on Apr 16th.

Answers

Zack

Here is a great thread from the Dogster Food & Nutrition forum that should give you the info you're looking for:

www.dogster.com

Zack answered on 4/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

it has to be orgien or barking at the moon,that dog food is great for hounds,and it is dry food.i use it and it is a great dog food.it keeps there weight at the normal size of a basset hound,it will not get your dog fat. or make her lose weight.

The Pawsee

There is Wellness Puppy that also is good. Whatever food you decide to feed your puppy make sure you stay with the puppy formula.

The Pawsee answered on 4/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I think Wellness just for puppies was decent in ingredients.
Also Solid Gold has the wolf cub, also good for pups.
I think for bassett's or beagles, solid gold is good.

Actually the Purina Puppy Chow is about as good for the puppy as anything. I would stick with it for at least a while. If you eventually slowly transition to a meat based food, you will have smaller, firmer, stoiols to clean up. There isn't the first bit of scientific evidence premium foods are better for dogs.